Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Driver Woes/IRQ Sharing- Help!

Mick_Oz

I'm getting lockups in CMBB since I installed the 40.72 drivers yesterday. As an absolute tech novice about drivers, I should say that I'm not sure if my removal of the manufacturers' (Leadtek) drivers was correct. I manually deleted using ADD/Remove at Control Panel. Then I started getting asked if I wanted to delete a whole succession of read only files..including .hlp and .dll files. In the end I just got rid of the lot. After rebooting.. I went to Explorer and ran the downloaded exe file to install the 40.72 driver. In a nutshell, my other apps seem to run ok but it's a succession of freezes in CM.

The other thing I noticed after reading a post in this forum is that my video card (GF 4 Ti 4200 with 8 AGP) is sharing an IRQ with my cable modem. If this is a bad thing, is there an easy way to rectify? (My system is a P-4, 2.4ghz.. Asus P-4 m-board, 512mb RAM, XP.)

I wanted the 40.72's because I've been having a lot of shimmering with trees/vehicles etc when scrolling under the Leadtek drivers.. and wanted to use the 40.72's refresh rate override and anis filtering to improve.

However, since the 40.72 doesn't work, I need to find out how to safely remove the driver(Detonator Destroyer tool?) and an idiot's step by step guide to installing new ones..either the original ones or perhaps the 30.82's.

Sorry to be long-winded here.. it all takes a bit of explaining. Advice appreciated.. I'd like to get CM going again.. I've got a tourney to finish!

the best thing i can suggest is to not change the drivers and the irq at the same time

to properly diagnose and solve your lock ups you need to change one thing at a time and see what the results are and whether it solves the lock ups

to that end, i'd suggest changing to the 82's or 87's for drivers - you can get a program to completely remove your current drivers at guru3d

honestly, i've never had to use one though, i just uninstall the current drivers using add/remove and then load the new drivers

i never use the drivers from the mfg of the card, especially when it's an nivida card because there are invariably better newer ones at guru3d

that being said, in the case of CM using older drivers is preferable in many instances simply because they completely work with whatever other settings you turn on (i.e. AA)

once you've tried the drivers and see what that does, then you might consider turning to the irq issue if the lock ups still are happening

while i'm sure there's a more elegent way to change irq's, i've had random lockups myself due to irq sharing and solved the problem by moving the offending card (a NIC in my case) to another PCI slot - hence a change in the irq

my cable modem is external though, so in my case moving the NIC it was connected to was the soln - in your case i'm guessing your cable modem is a card, in which case you could move it to another PCI slot and see what that does for you

hope this helps - others will no doubt wander along at some point with more and perhaps better advice - but for starters, try falling back to older vid drivers and let us know how that goes first

Thanks.. I may try the 82's. Unfortunately, I understand that the tool to remove Det Drivers at Guru 3D does not work under XP so it appears to be a complicated, manual process of removing Det Driver files from Sys 32 folder etc. Not something I face with any confidence.

I agree about the IRQ matter and it may not be a big deal anyway. I mainly want to get the drivers sorted at this stage.

I did have the presence of mind to create a System Restore point before deleting the manufacturer's drivers. If I went back to that point would it reverse the situation and reinstall those drivers?

yes, that's one of the features i really like about xp

i'd suggest trying system restore and going back to the point before you had problems

it will take the system back to the way it was at the point of the restore

which in this case should take you back to the drivers you had loaded before things started acting up

let us know how that goes

i know from personal experience that system restore works - i've used it to go back to a point before i hacked up my registry and made my cdrw disappear

everything that was changed from the point of the restore forward is put back the way it was at the restore point

Originally posted by easytarget:

[

i'd suggest trying system restore and going back to the point before you had problems

which in this case should take you back to the drivers you had loaded before things started acting up

[/QB]

Sounds like a good thing to try. I'll let you know if it works when I gather the courage to take the plunge. [it all may be a little academic as my PC is sprouting other probs such as spontaneous reboots ... which a new power supply hasn't fixed... no point in getting into the grisly details here.] Thanks very much for your response... it's appreciated!