Game Lockups...Resolved

Hello -

I've had various problems with lockups...have posted here before.

I have Nvidia GeForce 256, SoundBlaster Live! and Logitech mouse.

I would get lockups during the game, usually when scrolling around the map or issuing orders. The PC would completely freeze and the only way I could recover was to recycle the PC completely (power button).

Tried all kinds of stuff with upgraded drivers, hardware acceleration changes for sound and video, disabling ambient sounds, all sounds, different resolutions, etc.

Nothing seemed to work...until.

I found a utility on the Logitech web site that changes the way their driver works with games by putting flag in the registry.

I made the changes and I got through a whole turn with no lockup!

So, I'm not sure if this a complete solution but I thought I would post this as something that you could place in your arsenal to try and troubleshoot lockup problems.

You can visit the Logitech web site and look for the file (game_whl.exe). It has registry file to merge. For your reference, here are the registry settings that were in the file, use at your own risk:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Logitech\MouseWare\CurrentVersion\Technical]

"MouseHookDllEnable"="0"

"WheelMsgToVmouse"="1"

For my registry, the only change it made was to change MouseHookDllEnable from "1" to "0"

I hope this helps you.