21st Army Counter Attack (Spoilers!)

Freakin' bleedin' hell... The evil bastidge the design this Operaton should burn in torment for a good chunk of eternity (half?).

The Stuka that showed up dropped a (500kg?) bomb plop in the middle of a tank formation that had momentarily clustered to get through a bottle nectk. I lost 3 tanks destroyed and 3 imobilized and had about 80 infantry casualties. The surviving tankers were cleaning the gore off their tanks for a week afterwards.

Okay, I don't think he (Berli? Rune? I don't remember) should really suffer. It was great fun to play. :=)

Quick feedback:

I really enjoyed this op, but found it too easy. Despite being brutalized by the Stuka, I won a total victory the first battle, without needing recourse to the following battles.

It was actually pretty easy -- I saved my arty fire, moved infantry up each flank, dropped the arty fire, and hooked around each flank with my infantry (1 battalion to the left, 2 on the right). The anti-tank guns of the defenders were almost useless -- I infantry rushed them from different angles and took them all out with only a few casualties. My tanks provided a base of fire in the open area in the middle, but were unecessary to win the battle.

I think a 25-30 minute time limit per battle in the op would work a lot better. This would keep things a little more nerve wracking for the soviet player, and make such a slow and methodical approach useless.

Aside from the casualties I suffered from the frickin' stuka, and a platoon that got beatup by arty fire, it was almost bloodless for the soviets.

Sage

Sage, the reason why you won after the first battle may be because of a bug that -in some cases- ends the operation after battle one. There's a thread on the scenario forum about it.

I played this op twice from the German perspective, and both times I was able to advance through all separete battles.

[ October 12, 2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Yeah - I've just finished this one and got a total victory on my first go as the Soviets. I didn't really need the armour either as I just went straight up the left flank. The main problem with the defensive layout is that the left flank (from the attackers perspective) offers the best avenue of approach (it has the most cover) but also has the weakest defence. It is therefore quite simple to penetrate the left with very few casualties and then roll up the rest of the defensive position from the rear. If a frontal attack on the postion was forced by the scenario designer (for example by making the map narrower so the left wasn't an option) then it would be much tougher.