Pershing in combat

I have read some posts on here saying how the Pershing was never used in combat in WWII. Well I was watching Dangerous Missions on the history channel tonight and they were talkign about Sherman tank crews. They then went on to talk about how the 3rd Armored Division had received several Pershings and used them in the fight for Cologne. It even had film from a cameraman with the division that showed the Pershing taking out a Panther tank. I know the history channel isnt always the most credible place for stuff like this but I was just curious as if anyone else saw the program? It does show a pershing in combat so why has everyone said it wasnt in combat? Again....just curious Im not saying everyone was wrong.

Both the Pershing and the Super Pershing were used in combat. For a nice account, read "Death Traps" which discuss the use of both these tanks. This book even has pictures of Pershings in combat, and a Panther being blown up by a Pershing.

The Super Pershing was available for nearly a month, and used , but only fired one shot in combat, causing a catastrophic explosion in its target (which was not identified by the action reports of the oral account extant of the operation in part because of the severe damage the long 90L70 caused to its target).

Slapdragon beat me to it. smile.gif

Anything you saw around here about the Pershing not being used in combat probably referred to the "Super Pershing." I was about to post about that, but agan, Slapdragon beat me to it.

As for the "Dangerous Missions" episode (why they changed the title from "Suicide Missions" is a mystery to me. They're both poor titles, but atleast the first one has a ring to it.) There is indeed some WONDERFUL footage of the Pershing in combat, stalking and killing a Panther.

Its the kind of movie that shows how horrible war is, but yet highlights how much I love it for some odd reason...not the killing mind you but...the competition.