Horses and guns in action

Here's a link for those who're interested seeing horses and guns and men in action.

http://media.almamedia.fi/id/12799.rm

As you can see, it's Finnish, so sorry for all of you non-Finnish out there (as there is no translation available)! But I think you can see something from the short media strip anyways.

Strip is about making a WWII movie of Finnish-Soviet battle in Ilomantsi, Finland in 26.7.-13.8.1944.

This particular battle had lots of interesting elements and I believe it will provide lots of very interesting battle scenarios in CMBB.

One example: two Russian regiments (regular troops) made an surprise attack on village of Hattuvaara. A hasteful counter-attack was done by two squadrons from a Finnish horse regiment supported with two (2) mortars only.

Other example: one Russian regiment of regular troops was attacking village of Korentovaara. The grenades of enemy's guns and the phosphore ammunition of the ground attacking airplanes set the pine woods to flames. The smoke of fire was smellable in far distances. Think of that hellish scenario: fire, smoke, guns, airplanes...

As a result of this fight of Ilomantsi Finnish troops got their hands on:

- 94 different guns

- 6 rocket launghers

- 82 mortars

- 66 cars

- 7 tanks

- 300 horse-dragged vehicles

- 222 horses

+ loads of hand guns and other equipment

More about this battle (in Finnish again, sorry!) is here.

Still somebody wants to say something about there were no horses in front line? ;)

/kuma

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Nice to see Finnish re-enactors are as fat and as too-old as North American ones.

Actually, they are not re-enactors. They are real life reservists who volunteered for this movie production. The gear is from the Finnish army stores.

As for the being too old: the average age for a soldier in WWII was IIRC 26. The Finnish army was a conscript army plus reserves.

Now, who is the news reader, she is more worth talking about (hubba hubba)....

The man or the woman ? ;)

[ August 12, 2002, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: tero ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Do they have a Finnish Budweiser bikini team? <ahttp://community.battlefront.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'>

Well, not quite...But this little girl has been the big "engine" behind promoting a beer-brand here...

The sauna-commercial with her is EXTREMELY hubbba-hubbba!

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Big engine is right! I'd say that's a full fledged Maybach HL230-P30, V-12. :D

LOL :D

This reminds me of one interesting thing: my uncle who's a farmer, used to have an old tank engine as a generator (bought in 90's).

I can't recall its origins, but I do remember it was huge. While standing next to it, it was still higher (above 2 m). It has two blocks (sides) like mirrors of each other (no, it wasn't a V-engine). Every other day it would use only the other side and every other day it would use the other side of the engine. There was a clutch attached to it that transferred power automatically from each engine block. If needed, engine would automatically start up the unused engine block, too. It could run on anything that burned, like alcohol, ship oil, gasolin, etc.

Hmm. Now I'm interested again. Have to call my uncle one day and ask more.

/kuma