German To US PBEM file problem

Has anyone in the US had trouble opening the first file sent from a German opponent?

For example, Scipio sent me a file the other day to start a pbem game. I could not open it. CMBB went into an endless wait and I had to end-task the process. It didn't lock up my machine it just never got out of what it was trying to do. This happened with several files. I tried this with a different German opponent and the same exact thing happened.

However, when I send a file, Scipio opens it, then sends it back, I can now open the file like normal.

Scipio and I have played CM pbem for a few years now and never encountered this problem so I have to rule out corrupt email.

I have a PC running windows 98 and I think Scipio has a PC as well but I will double check.

Thanks in advance for any response.

This thread is already in the tech support forum but only had two replies that did not provide a solution at this time.

MT

[ September 23, 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: MajorTaktik ]

I know you said PBEM always worked before but this really sounds more like an MIME email issue to me. Have him zip up the file and THEN send it to you.

If it works then your email is probably trying to unencrypt the file attachement and corrupting it.

I have gotten several PBEMS files today from the German game versions and have had no problems opening any of the files.

Madmatt

[ September 23, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I know you said PBEM always worked before but this really sounds more like an MIME email issue to me. Have him zip up the file and THEN send it to you.

If it works then your email is probably trying to unencrypt the file attachement and corrupting it.

I have gotten several PBEMS files today from the German game versions and have had no problems opening any of the files.

Madmatt

Yep, zipping the file solves the problem.