Scenario editor

I wonder if the number of scenarios being submitted has surprised the developers? It really shows they're on to a winner when so many people get involved enough to create their own.

Some thoughts on the editor for future releases?

There are some obvious tiles missing, which have been discussed elsewhere - railway bridge, etc. I believe the combinations of road/terrain and river/terrain also need to be expanded to include all the possible combinations. (eg, Road in brush, river in trees.)

I would also like to see a 'castle wall' tileset to represent not only the odd castle that shows up in Italy and Europe, but also old city walls, prisons, etc.

A feature I would really like to see is the ability to add pre-existing battle damage to a map. (Like 'weathering' a model.) Perhaps you could choose levels of damage and have the AI apply it to the map. For example, I have created a map for the Cassino battles but it is full of pristine buildings - how do I appply battle damage easily? There are no crater tiles, and filling it with rubble tiles would be ugly.

This could be accomplished manually with the addition of damage tiles such as blown bridges, craters, shredded trees, etc.

Another possibility: provide terrain reference points and have some way of generating the contours in between. Cassino mapping is a laborious process of trying to determine contours.

Finally, a small one... IMHO, the rubble tile is ugly. Anyone have the artistry to improve it?

------------------

Never leave your mind so open your brains fall out.

I agree, a few extra Tiles would be wonderful.The Craters are a must, I would love to see fallen trees,which can be used for cover.A Castle would be great, a fort,circa Siegried Line.Dead Soldier tiles and Burned out vehicles which could also be used as Cover.I know these will have to be mods now unless BTS comes out with an add-on package, but it would really make this great game even better. Perhaps those great mod makers can create some of the above tiles for us.I also hope BTS can let you pre-program artillery fire during the set up phase,for us scenario designers who want to start things off with a bang!!!

------------------

"If Patton were alive today,he'd play Combat Mission."

Stilll on the topic of rubble... (what is it with this guy?) I think that the current rubble tiles are reasonable for representing damage to smaller buildings, but the large buildings should be revisited.

Take the Aachen scenario. Here your M7 takes out the large building down the street, and instantly has an unblocked LOS to the further (objective) building, and not a brick on the roads adjacent. I think a large buiding collapsing should leave the equivalent of a small one for LOS and defensive purposes AND spread rubble to all adjacent clear tiles.

------------------

Never leave your mind so open your brains fall out.

I have just started playing with the scenario designer/editor and found a few other things i would like to see added.

First, some additions to the unit editor, currently you can add fatigue and status but you can not edit cassualties, i am trying to make a MASH/supply depot over run and would like to create squads that are already banged up and wounded that would assist in the defense. I would also like to be able to edit the equipment as well, for instance, creating imobile tanks or shocked tanks at the start of a scenario.

-Mother Theresa

------------------

"Out of fuel, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heros"

In my opinion, they should also have trails in the snow. I don't mean vehicles or units leaving trails behind; that's already been discussed at length. I think it should be a texture like roads that inf could use to walk through snow without getting tired easily. It would also look great. Also, I think we need a better looking winter brush texture.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.

Instead of snow I wouldn't mind see exhaust fumes as vehicles start to move. I remember that the original Close Combat had such diesel exhaust and it looked great.

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge