Liquidating Nimtz

Tried this neat looking mini tonite, playing as the attacking Germans.Tried bringing all my vechicles up the left side using the bocage and buildings as cover.I lost all the vechicles within 2 turns. One seemed to blow itself up trying to shoot thru bocage at an enemy who should have been out of los, another ignored my orders to stop behind the edge of the building, proceeded to drive around the corner of the bocage and ran over three of my squads.And I lost to tanks to what appeared to be infantry fire from the buildings out of los(I thought)also behind the bocage. Now I know the scenerio briefing mentioned sabotage but did not know that could be modeled in this game!!! But it would explain things...... smile.gif Any ideas whats going on???

I don't think you need to worry about sabotage as a cause for losing tanks smile.gif The first and foremost thing to remember is that this stupid game smile.gif does a very good job at recreating FOW. I can't tell you how many times I've lost tanks and had NO idea why. As events unfolded it became clear but at the time you just may not know where that round/mortar/grenade came from.

That being said, it is possible that your tank that fired through the bocage had the round explode very short and it damaged your own vehicle, there have been threads on this subject on the main board. The tank that ignored your orders was either reacting to something it saw that you didn't anticipate or your orders may have been ambiguous ... or it may have just decided to go around the corner smile.gif In any case, it may have looked like it ran down three of your squads but the game doesn't model vehicles causing damage to infantry by running them down. Finally, LOS is a tricky thing. The only true test is the LOS tool and even that can be "funky" on rare occasions.

But I'd bet that all of your tank losses were due to perfectly legitmate causes ... that you just don't know about yet smile.gif

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but the halftrack still commited suicide <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the poor thing was probably depressed because it wasn't fully tracked and kept getting teased by the Pz IV's it was hanging with ... try some Prozac in the gas tank next time.

Joe

So I take it Nimtz is still alive? wink.gif

This game offers bitter and blessed surprises and that is even playing the same scenario twice. You never know.

How many times have I said, as I run replay again and again, "What in the world got my tank?" Eventually I'll find it hitting "play-pause..play-pause."

WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

I feel your pain, brother... If you want an exercise in total unrepented frustration (and rage!), try the Chambois scenerio as the germans... overall.. the map is layed out where you can hammer the Poles in the corner of the map of which they came.. just dont think of flanking or getting close to them... I lost no fewer than all 4 or 5 of my mk IVs and a panther what seemed like an invisible mine field. After the 3rd mk IV bought it.. the blast from the at gun FINALLY showed up... Turned out to be a 6 pdr concealed in some trees about 80 mtrs away... and this thing didnt fire like a normal at gun.. we;re talking at a rate about one would fire a single shot rifle!!! I think the allies could have won the war had they nothing but these things.... jeeesh! i was pissed...

Zaff'

Well, the second time thru I took a couple of the building's rooms but appearently not enough to change the flag and the allies won a tactical victory.Very fun and creative, never had to use a Tiger merely as a gun platform before....unfortunately it lost the long range battle after only getting one shot off!!!Good stuff Bill, Keep these minis coming---I like them a lot smile.gif

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Those pesky little devils are harder than some of the bigger ones. Here the balance can depend on one squad sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Small battles are much more of a crap shoot. Larger battles involving more units and extending over a longer time give more opportunity for the law of averages to smooth things out.

Michael