Artillery and the practical application thereof....

1. In the unlikely event anyone would want to know............one addition/revision to the game would be the ability to fire adjusting/spotter rounds before the fire-for-effect portion of the mission. It kinda sucks when you burn your whole ammo load on a mission that doesn't quite reach the target area.

2. I can't help but wonder why, on occaision, the countdown to actually firing of artillery missions does not change from phase to phase. Example........155mm spooter is assigned a target and the timer says it will be 3 minutes. I hit the GO button and the next time I check him the timer still says 3 min. Several turns later, when the clock finally gets below 1 minute, I notice that the timer counts down 1 second for every 2 seconds that pass in the replay.....hhhmmmmmmm?

Actually, there are spotting rounds in now, they come a bit before the FFE starts. Try a search as this has been discussed. The whole artillery fire procedure is somewhat abstracted, but you can see the spotting rounds. With 14" naval guns, often the spotting round is enough to complete the mission!

Also, if the FO doesn't have LOS to the target area, he won't see the spotting rounds to adjust them and the fire will be pretty wild. Perhaps this is the issue?

I think the second point, where the countdown stays at 2min for several turns, or counts down irregularly, simulates things like temporary loss of radio contact, battery is busy with other fire mission, radioman is taking a leak, etc. Until rounds are in the air, that time should be viewed as an estimate rather than something you can set your watch by. Again, much is abstracted, so the specific cause any one time is up to your imagination.

As for the second point, the time not moving along fast enough. I think that replicates the temporary loss of comm (always the weakest link)or a weak comm link where the FO may have to resend his adjustments etc or any other event that could slow down the fire mission. It is frustrating to say the least but I find it extremely realistic and adds considerably to an already fine game.

Out here...

Hi....i have the answer to part 2 of ur question....i think the others covered part 1....if ur timer says, say 2 minutes...u may notice the clock actually tix down every 2-3 seconds really...this is because the time is only an estimate and the actual "time" a second lasts actually depends on the skill of the spotter etc...so an elite spotter that says 30 seconds till artillary arrival may only take 20 seconds, but a vet will take longer and a regular guy may take 40-60 seconds or so...hope that helps

foxk