Who said ampulomets were a $#&% ?

Well, I was told they were some kind of “cocktail Molotov” launchers… No danger, ridiculous weapon, they were more dangerous to the crew then to the enemy and so on… you get the picture. ;)

So, I went to my “virtual live”… every time I saw one, I thought to my self: “ it’s just a bunch of kids playing with fire, they will end up hurting themselves!” :D

In one turn, 2 of these things, on different points of the map got armour “penetrations” (and KO) in 2 AFVs of mine, one of them being 30mm of armour at 77m ! redface.gif

Now, indulge me, how can a cocktail Molotov penetrate 3cm of steel at 77 meters? tongue.gif

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

'Penetration' has to be taken in a rather metaphorical sense here. It means the burning fuel has got into either the crew compartment or the engine through ventilation openings and set something vital on fire.

Yes,yes, I knew that, I was j/k... the all intention was to "rant" those who said the weapon was useless.

Talking about that, right this day, I think this is the new über-über-weapon. :D

Has about tomorrow, well tomorrow it's a new day,for sure a new über-weapon will show up ;)

Originally posted by Hans:

Try a battery of them, 3 or 4, they can have an effect!

...but wouldn't that be "gamey" ? ohh, sorry, this is a game ! ;)

Btw, that remembers me of the "tank hunters" army... an all front of tank hunters, with their joke of AT "weapons", but most important, with their SMGs ! :cool:

Originally posted by Tanaka:

In one turn, 2 of these things, on different points of the map got armour “penetrations” (and KO) in 2 AFVs of mine, one of them being 30mm of armour at 77m ! redface.gif

Now, indulge me, how can a cocktail Molotov penetrate 3cm of steel at 77 meters? tongue.gif

What other people said. Also, ampulomets usually get a top hit, being mortar-like. What kind of tank has 30mm of armor on top? Or are you quoting a front or side armor thickness?

Edited to add: I wonder if these were "open top" or "partially open top" vehicles? I've noticed regular molotovs seem a lot more effective against those...

[ December 14, 2002, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: Frunze ]

Originally posted by Frunze:

...I wonder if these were "open top" or "partially open top" vehicles? I've noticed regular molotovs seem a lot more effective against those...

No, one of them was open top, but the hit that got it was a "front upper hull armour penetration".

The 2nd was StuG III B and the 77m hit that got it was a 3 cm side armour penetration...

Btw, I don't see many ventilation openings on a side armour of a StuG, but that is not a problem... It’s just that the ampulomet had a very good day and the StuG a very bad one…. I hope ;)

I am the guilty person, but in my defence you took the post the wrong way. I was speculating and piecing evidence together on the real effectiveness and appearance of the Amp. I believe it had much shorter service period than is represented in the game. Although it could blow up tanks t could also blow up its crew. Its appance was also some what different from a mortar.

Can we add these factors in to my moans and wants list to the Battlefront Santa for delivery with 1.02.

;)