CMBB: deep snow and artillerie, a question

Hello,

Juste read some interesting things on the Winter War site. I would like to quote something which I believe could be relevant to CMBB use of artillery in deep snow condition. It is from the part concerning the destruction of surrounded soviet troops ( Mottis ) :

The biggest problem that the Finns had in this field, was the lack of heavy artillery. As the snow was 50 cm thick by the time the motti battles begun (compare to Soviet sources claiming several meters of snow) , the 76 mm artillery was ineffective, unless used in direct fire.
(my emphasis)

My questions:

1/ could any arty grog or veteran comment about the effect of deep snow on artillerie efficiency/lethality compared to caliber?

and if there is a serious effect

2/ should this be modelled in CMBB for the sake of realism?

(Personnal opinion: heavy movement restrictions in deep snow would be "compensated" with a decreased efficiency of small to medium artillerie.

Personnal experience: I have used hand grenades in deep snow and it is VERY good at absorbing a blast)

Feedback much welcomed

Sig

The study on 'The effect of climate on combat in Russia', done by a German officer for the US Army after the war mentions that mortars were useless in deep snow, but does not mention a calibre beyond which this did not apply. I woul assume that this holds definitely true for the 81mm and below, and maybe even for the 120mm?

No idea if this will be modeled.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Deep snow does effect artillery effectiveness in CMBB. It is modeled.

Madmatt

Thanks for this incredibly fast feedback, Matt!

Question nr2 has been answered by He-Who-Knows; I'm happy; I'm going to grab a dram of single malt to celebrate; can I pre-order CMBB? :D

Sig

Another question: There is a clear difference between deep snow (where tanks can bog easier) and light snow, where tanks will not bog, depending how strong the ground under the snow is frozen.

In other words, the snow cover and the ground conditions are in princip two different things. Will CM:BB take care of this - or does CM:BO already?

And BTW, is it possible that the QB player get more informations about the conditions? Ground conditions, view range etc, all those things that are obvious for the soldier on the battlefield, but hard or impossible to find out for the player.

Yes we understand the differences in ground cover and ground condition. ;)

The interface has been upgraded to permit instant access to weather and environmental conditions such as wind strength and direction, ground condition, temperature, time of day and prevalent weather pattern (overcast, clear, snowing, raining etc...).

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes we understand the differences in ground cover and ground condition. ;)

The interface has been upgraded to permit instant access to weather and environmental conditions such as wind strength and direction, ground condition, temperature, time of day and prevalent weather pattern (overcast, clear, snowing, raining etc...).

Madmatt

:cool: :cool: :cool: