Elsdorf - the battle of my life

Woooooow, what a great battle I had this morning playing Elsdorf for a first time !

No question this was my greatest wargaming experience of my life! Adrenalin was flowing through my veins in buckets !!!

It didn't start pretty well as yankees were mowing down my infantry but my 50mmAT gun was hidden until Priests and some armored cars came a bit closer then I gave them un-hide command and BANG BANG BANG, 2 Priests dead one M4A1 half-truck gone + 1 M5A1 !!!Then one Jumbo came and removed my 50mm AT gun from the battlefield. Shrecks took care of 2 Shermans one of them was 105. Though I was still loosing badly in some on the left side of the map. Then when the 4 Tigers showed up things turned for the better they started to clean up the enemy all over the place. I lost 2 Tigers to Pershings but my 2 Tigers + King Tiger and one more Tiger took care of almost all the Allied armor, the only ones that escaped were M24 chaffies as they just drove to fast for my armor. I was a bit too quick in some decisions and not carefull and due to that I lost 2 Mark IVJs and 2 Wespes. My Hetzer had some fun too with some infantry...Amazing battle, I'm having hard time describing the battle all the scenes running through my head, I wish we had a movie option in CM so that I could save the battle into a movie and watch it, it would have been a great show to watch.

I did also play last night playing Ardennes operation and I won by second battle. In the first battle I got some shermans but I lost all my armor. In the second battle I stopped cold Allies from the town.

risc

PS: I played with Full Fog, historical setup

PS2: Final Score - Total Axis Victory (31:61)

I have lost 7 vehicles, allies lost 19, allied casualites 290+(don't remember how many actually dead) axis infantry loses 144 (don't remember how many actually dead)

[This message has been edited by risc (edited 07-16-2000).]

Nicely done Risc! I assume by the Ardennes Operation you re referring to Team Desobry, correct?

Those two are my babies and its nice to see they are in good hands. I'm glad they enhanced your gaming experience. You did quite well. Congratulations!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

> Nicely done Risc! I assume by the Ardennes

> Operation you re referring to Team

> Desobry, correct?

That's correct, a great operation indeed !

Very well crafted I must say!

> Those two are my babies and its nice to

> see they are in good hands. I'm glad they

> enhanced your gaming experience. You did

> quite well. Congratulations!

Thanks Bill, I had a hell of fun playing

both the scenario and the operation. One

time I found my self yelling at my

armor "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING ?!,

FIRE!!!....FIRE!!!" units and when a first

Pershing got nailed I loudly screamed with

joy "YEEEEEES!!!!!", I tell you I had some

nerve-wracking moments there. I think

you did a great job here and I would call

your work "a piece of art" ! Keep up the

good work Bill.

After some more playing I will try to work

on Close Combat 1 map conversions and

probably work on St. Lo campaign based on

Close Combat 1.

Peter

[This message has been edited by risc (edited 07-16-2000).]

Nice going, Peter, I haven`t tried that one myself. BTW, I finally got across the bridge in my All or Nothing game, and finaly nailed that bushwacking JahdPanzer biggrin.gif I`ll post a further AAR on that tomorrow on the historical forum.

I`ll have to do it from work, because I just got a new cable modem and my newserver doesn`t carry the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical newsgroup, mad.gif which I have to get from the server at the office. I tried a half-dozen free newservers, and NONE of them carry that newsgroup. I wonder why confused.gif ...Anyway I emailed my cable modem company and requested that they add it. maybe I`ll have to start posting my AARs here... wink.gif

Henri

Hi Henri,

I haven't play yet All or Nothing scenario, is it good ? I'm gonna try it and see how I will do. I mostly play as German , Wehrmacht though not generally as Waffen SS.

Yes I think if you request your provider to carry the historical newsgroup they should be able to enable it.

Peter

Peter,

oops, I though it was you who had discussed my AAR on the war-historical forum, but now I remember that instead it was you who told me how to win the Wittmann scenario redface.gif .

For All or Nothing, I recommend playing the British; someone copmplained on this forum that when he played the Germans, the British lacked initiative. Ihaven`t tried the Germans myself in this scenario.

God, with all those CM scenarios and my new Cable modem allowing me to spend hours surfing these forums, and me thinking of maybe starting to play online games, it is beginning to sound as if my job may be getting in the way of my life. Oh no mad.gif , my wife is calling me to go upstairs to fix a door rolleyes.gif

Henri

Henri,

No it wasn't me who discussed with you the ARR, yes I was the one I tried to help for the Wittmann Operation, how did that go ?

Well I started playing as German (All for Nothing scenario) so far I'm on turn 12 or so and the British have to yet cross the bridge or go under the bridge. The funny thing is I didn't really knew before the battle started, from where will the British come and so I positioned my 2 mg bunkers the wrong way. Ouch they are gone now though the crew is fine. I put them in a safe place, everything counts you know smile.gif I'm ready for the British...

I just added Madmatt's graphics and sound add-on, wooow what a change ! I love the new grass and trees and sounds are great too except I don't like the tank gun firing sound will have to replace it with something different.

Now back to front...

Peter

Spoiler............

Well, I sent Wittmann to the left as you suggested, and with a bit of luck to help won it with two tanks left.I wrote an AAR on the war-historical forum last week describing the details.

Henri

Congratulations Henri.

I'm now on turn 34 with All or Nothing scenario and so far I'm lusing some engineers around the bridge area due to some British armor, Tiger is on the way so I hope together with my 88 I can keep the Allies under control. I can't believe I have lost JagPz IV (imobilized) due to running too long on rail trucks...

Peter

SPOILER!......

I'm now on turn 34 with All or Nothing scenario and so far I'm lusing some engineers around the bridge area due to some British armor, Tiger is on the way so I hope together with my 88 I can keep the Allies under control. I can't believe I have lost JagPz IV (imobilized) due to running too long on rail

trucks...

You shuld have left it where it is: if the British come across the stone bridge, they HAVE to cross the railroad bridge, and that Panzer can sit there with a perfect position. I'll post an AAR at the war-historical usenet forum today on what happened to me as the British at that bridge (I had already lost two tanks there in my previous AAR)

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Well, if you enjoyed them that much, Risc, then my efforts were more than worthwhile. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've played this as the Germans also and had a great laugh when one of the US tanker named WB Wilder showed up!! I let him go as I thought the game would end if I killed him.

haha

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Cut the old Kunel some slack! biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank god he and his crew got out, I'm sure that my CM CD would have melted had he died. It also seem as if the US lost all hope after his tank brewed up. ;D

SPOILERS !!!

Henri,

I just finished All or Nothing and only managed Minor Axis victory. (40:54 score)

Major problem were Comets tanks, I thought gee what's next I would get a Mouse tank ? Or Panther II ? The scnario is too long with not that much action.

Peter