Question for History Buffs and Bookworms:

Brothers:

I need a recommendation for a book covering the Japanese military from around 1863 to 1945. I've seen several, but some of the reviews on them are pretty mixed. Recently I was looking closely at "Soldiers of the Sun" by Meirion and Susie Harries. However, some of the reviews indicated that the Harries were very racist agains the Japanese. Does anyone know of a clear, objective book?

Thanks for all assistance in advance.

Fowler

Brothers:

Thanks for the advice. I had looked at "Warriors of the Sun," and I believed I looked at "Pacific War" as well. I'm beginning to think I've got to read at least 3 books on the issue to get a "fair" feel for what was occurring. Just wanted to make sure I was correct.

I appreciate any/all advice.

Good Hunting,

Fowler

FOwler,

I don't have Soldiers of the Sun but it looks like a good one to me. Don't be put off by one anonymous review at B&N ;)

You might be interested in The Rising Sun by Toland and Eagles Against the Sun by Spector. Burma by Allen uses a lot of Japanese sources. For the view of the average Japanese soldierTales by Japanese Soldiers by Tamayama is fascinating.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but it's such a great book I have to recommend it is Quartered Safe out Here.

You could also try some of the books at Nafziger http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/index.html Let us know if you find anything good!

Originally posted by Viceroy:

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but it's such a great book I have to recommend it is Quartered Safe out Here.

Perhaps one of the best war autobiographies to ever appear.

You could also try some of the books at Nafziger http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/index.html Let us know if you find anything good!

The information in these books should be treated with considerable caution, as has been pointed out many times on the Yahoo mailing list devoted to the study of Japanese Armour, "Senshagun". They are basicly reprints of US Army intelligence reports are often wildly inaccurate and racially biased as well.

I'd recommend looking at Akira Taki's web page, if you want accurate information on Japanese AFV's. Another good webpage to look at is this page.

[ February 18, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Ogadai ]

Brother:

Thanks to all. Viceroy is correct, I've probably been a little to jumpy. I'm a slow reader (although I generally remember it forever) so I didn't want to get 250 pages into something and find I wasted my time.

I'll check out your references. Appreciate the help.

Fowler