Panzer II in CMBB - AP-40/Pzgr40 available?

...and another lurker emerges from the woodwork ;)

I've got a question for some of the super-grogs out there as I can't find the answer;

I'm a big fan of the smaller, less significant tanks. I fully expect to see the earlier versions of the Panzer II in the game, as they were a good part of the armoured backbone which was present during the opening months of Operation Barbarosa.

What I'am curious about is the availability of AP-40 or Pzgr40 rounds to this vehicles armament, the 20mm KwK30 L/55 automatic cannon. I know AP-40/Pzgr40 rounds existed for the 20mm gun, I'm just not clear on the details.

I'm not exactly sure when this type of round (APCR) initially became available to this vehicle and its respective armament, or for long it was available (as I do know that Tungsten became harder and harder to come by as the war progressed).

Surely - this round would help give a lighter tank like the Pz II more hitting power at close range considering some of its propsective opponents. I'm just hoping its available early enough in the campaign to actually be of some use before I start running into larger numbers of Soviet medium tanks.

Does any one have the answer or can they reccomend a source where I might obtain it?

Thanks smile.gif

Well that too is a good question, though what little I understand about anti-armour MG rounds and their use in WWII, is that it was quite rare.

I may be mistaken about that.

What I do know - is the a Pzgr40 round for the 20mm KwK30 L/55 Gun will enable it to still efectively take on some of the lighter Soviet tanks. In short - it will still concieveably be employable as a "battle tank" against these lighter tanks, and armoured cars.

While the biggest problem is getting a thinnly armoured Panzer II close enough to make use of its Pzgr40 rounds against a lot of 45mm armed Soviet AFVs - but that problem is for me to enjoy figuring out. I just want to know if I'll have that option, or if I'll be left with just AP to pull my proverbial rabbit out of a hat. ;)

Of course, the history buff in me wants to know the dates for the implementation of Pzgr40 rounds for this specific gun for general interests sake.

If 20mm Pzgr40 was actually in service during the opening stages of Barbarosa, and was used, then I say - bring it on! ;)

[ April 11, 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Little_Black_Devil ]

The following web site will give you some indication of the numbers of 20mm PzGr 40 produced, he numbers received by the Heer to be precise:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waffen/panzer2-R.htm

In 1941: 484.700

In 1942: 516.500

No more, no less.

--

Though the numbers received are small compared to that of regular AP it would still seem to indicate that they could be found laying around now and then, from 1941 and a few years onward.

--

M.

Thanks for the link Mattias - very interesting stuff.

I'm still curious about the specific month that Pzgr40 become available for the 20mm KwK L/55 though. Not sure if thats something I'll ever be able to find. Still, lots of good info.

Aside from the effects of the incendiary rounds on Infantry, I wonder how they would also perform against armour?

Thanks again guys smile.gif

Does anyone know of a good/reputeable research firm or web-site which might have access to this kind of obscure and detailed information?

I don't think its likely I'll find a book containing this stuff. Perhaps there is a useful exerpt from an old issue of AFV news magazine.

Thanks smile.gif