fearless split rifle squad?

Had a QB going infantry vs. infantry units with germans defending a village. In one area, the AI set a german HMG unit on the high end of a slope in a wooded area and midway below the HMG was a stone wall. I had one split rifle squad run&hide just below the stone wall out of site of the HMG and was going to send another squad to assist the split squad in flanking the HMG next turn. Next turn comes...to my amazement, the split squad decides to come out of hiding and rush past the stone wall and head for the HMG. Why???

The "fearless" split squad in question is actually quite fearfull.

While hiding Behind the stone wall they are actually considered in OPEN terrain. 100% exposure.

While sitting there, they may have come under fire from enemy units. Or they may have just "noticed" enemy units looking in their direction. They may have been fired on and not taken any casualties. But whatever the cause, they found their position unsafe and decided to bolt for the cover of the woods. They might not even have cared about the HMG being there. (They might not have known it was even there, if they can't see it. Despite YOU knowing it is there.)

The reason they bolted for the woods is because they are a split squad (a little more fragile physically and mentally) and also because something happened to make them feel unsafe. (Enemy units firing in their direction. Or scary enemy presence making itself known.)

Hope that helps! Good luck. smile.gif

Gpig

Conversely, you'll probably do OK if you are *defending* behind a wall...but only if you keep them where you set-up them up- since then your boys will be protected by an all-important foxhole, which grants about 50% cover in open ground. That should be enough to keep them from fleeing for "safe" cover. When they get suppressed, they'll duck, and the wall will grant 100% cover, though only from direct fire...arty and the like from *above* will dice them up just the same. The way to defeat that is to flank them, such that the wall no longer matters.

Seen it a million times.

I once had a spotter do this. He was on a slope and a squad sneaked near him them opened up. The A.I decided it was much more intelligent to run at the attackers and right next to them and then get killed LOL!

Well maybe not LOL! since it was a 4.2 inch spotter with a full compliment of rounds :mad:

Gen