Russian APCR Lethality

The following site has some interesting material on the Russian 45mm APCR:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/1852/57mm.html#29

The interesting paragraph follows:

"The tungsten carbide core is surrounded by very toxic mercury chloride HgCl2 or Hg2Cl2. This white to gray substance builds small balls of metallic mercury when heated, it was used to

securely fix the hard metal core to the outer shell in the first place. Second, in the moment of impact, these substances change their chemical and thermodynamic properties and act like a liquid lubricant with high density and viscosity under the energetic shock of impact. This helps the core to separate smoothly from the outer shell. The third, and a most welcomed by-effect, is the high toxic nature of the HgCl2 and Hg2Cl2. These are very toxic in their solid property (0,2-0,4g fatal dose), but when they evaporate in the heat as the core is penetrating, they form a very toxic cloud of mercury vapors inside the hit vehicle, killing or severely damaging the health of the crew. If the tank or armored vehicle was not completely destroyed by fragments hitting fuel or ammo, the vehicle could be restored safely after a short period of time, because the mercury vapors disappeared trough the hatches. Remnants of metallic mercury are not too hazardous. Similar Russian hard-core AP projectiles exist from 37mm to bejond 100mm.

Because of the very toxic nature of the Mercury- Chloride, one should refraim from opening these shells."

I guess a penetration from those tiny 45mm APCR tungsten cores might be more lethal than one would imagine.

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Interresting, but i never read or hear about dead soldiers true toxic or other form of gas.

Isnt it against the genevea convention??

Who the heck has ever cared for the Genevea Convention in WWII?? :confused:

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

What??? All prisonears were killed?? All red-Cross vehikels bombed?? Please refresh your history knowledge.

May some units and in some circumstances, od things happend but it was not the rule.

On the Eastern Front? I thought killing prisoners was pretty much company policy - whether by action or by omission.

How many of the 100s of 1000s of Soviet prisoners taken in the great battles of '41 ever saw home again? (or more likely a bullet in the back of the neck from Stalin's murderers).

Likewise how many of Von Paulus' men made it back from Stalingrad? Precious few I think you will find.

I think that the laws of war were largely silent on the Eastern Front from the opening of Barbarossa until the fall of Berlin. Blame it on racism and doctrine.