CM Hangs My PM 8500!

I just recieved the retail version of CM (yay!) and installed it on my PM 8500 w/ 120 MB RAM (virtual memory off) and ATI XCLAIM+ video card. The gold demo ran fine on this machine, but the full version (with or without the patch) hangs after starting a scenario. The game will show me the map and all of the units and I can hear the background noises for about five seconds, then my machine hangs.

I've already removed the extensions that were added to my system since playing the gold demo, but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Updating my ATI drivers didn't fix the problem, but it did change it somewhat. Instead of hanging up my system after five seconds or so after starting the scenario, my system doesn't hang for ten or fifteen seconds now. At least I get to press a key or two and look at a couple of units.

Update:

Just for fun (actually, it was out of desperation), I moved my monitor connection over to the built in video on my 8500's motherboard to see if CM would run without the ATI card. It does! It's slow and doesn't look all that nice, but it doesn't crash.

It seems to be something relating to the ATI card, but, as I said before, the gold demo ran just fine with it.

Increasing CM's assigned memory was the first thing I tried. It didn't help.

I dropped my screen resolution from 1152x870 down to 1024x768, and this has helped. I played through about ten turns of one game without a problem (I had to quit after that to go to work).

Is this some problem where CM is unexpectedly running out of video memory?

CM FEATURE REQUEST: can there be a preferences setting somewhere so that CM can automatically switch to a preset screen resolution (and back again), so that I can keep my 'desktop' resolution at 1152x870, but still run CM at 1024x768?

Thanks for your attention, Charles.