How do these things work again?

Ant

After reading of many people's experiences with CM I have come to the rather unfortunate conclusion that I'm not getting the most out of my on-map mortars. They never seem to be where I want them to be.........then when they get to be where I want them to be, where I want them to be becomes somewhere else. I'm never quite sure exactly how I should be using them either.

How do I get the best out of these potentially very valuable assets? assuming in this case that I've no preset TRPs

If I've got (say) three mortar teams do I group them together in a sort of mini battery, or spread them out for wider support?

What's the best spotting option, direct line of site from the mortar team, use the HQ as a spotter, or fire blind (target wide)?

how far back should they be from the initial line of assault? Or should they be right up there with the bullets whizzing about?

Any advice would be welcome because at the moment I've got a job lot of unused mortar bombs going spare!!

Ant,

For attacks i group my mortars in teams of four to have some punch. I always give them a HQ-unit with command bonus so i can put them fairly behind the spotting unit.

In the attack i always try to position them out of LOS so that they only execute my commands (and not shoot to something unimportant).

I follow the lead elements closely to be ready for support fire in a short time. When using them for suppressing fire for an attack i set an area fire command every 20 m together with HMG or LMG fire this ensures very good suppression during the assault (The barrage and the attack have to be almost simultaneously to have maximum effect, since mortar barrages seldom kill).

2-3 mortars work wonders against AT gun positions usually a one turn barrage is enough.

Give the observing HQ-unit a minimum cover arc (so he doesn't open fire) and position it at the edges of wood or the like. This btw has the benefit of additional battlefield observation.

In a scenario with fog one can use mortars also to maximum effect in the open. In the open Commandlines usually are very long so it's easy to keep the mortars out of LOS. Give them some motortransports and you can quickly change positions.

One can never have enough mortars in the attack !!

In the defense one might use them single and with direct LOS, although even then i prefer out of LOS and in Command setup to have control and punch at the critical moment (Blocking barrage, Counterattack preparation, smokescreen etc.). If only they'd have more shells :(

Greets

Daniel

[ November 01, 2002, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: TSword ]

If I've got (say) three mortar teams do I group them together in a sort of mini battery, or spread them out for wider support?
A lot depends on the battlefield conditions, mission type and caliber of the mortar. For instance, you'll get a lot of use out of three 81mm mortars defending on a clear day, but practically none attacking on a foggy morning (or night). LOS and min ranges play a big part in that.

Most folks keep their mortars grouped together, under the overall command of either a company or weapons platoon HQ. This will work best in a defensive situation. On the attack, I like to parcel out the smaller caliber stuff (50mm & 60mm)to the individual platoons, so that each one has some support if they run into a dug-in MG or gun emplacement. The larger stuff usually works best grouped together and in command. They will serve as instant artillery in case my front line runs into real trouble. They also are good at dropping a quick smokescreen for attack or withdrawal purposes.

What's the best spotting option, direct line of site from the mortar team, use the HQ as a spotter, or fire blind (target wide)?
The best is obviously direct LOS, as they can make targetting adjustments on the fly. Mortars using HQs as spotters can only use area fire, and you'll end up wasting rounds if the target moves during the barrage. Still, that method is a lot safer than exposing the mortars to return fire. Firing blind is a waste of ammo, IMO.

how far back should they be from the initial line of assault? Or should they be right up there with the bullets whizzing about?
Again, depends on the battlefield. On a clear day, keep them behind the lines where their long reach can be put to good use. In less visibilty, have the smaller stuff closer to the front. In all cases, be aware of their min ranges and LOS conditions. If visibilty is only 75 meters, but the min range is 100, then your best bet is to place them behind a HQ unit that has a command bonus. He will serve as the 'eyes' of the battery, and allow the mortars enough space to hit targets they normally would be too close to fire on.

Thanks for the good info guys. I think I'm going to spend my next couple of scenarios just Concentrating on my mortars and putting some of your advice into practice. That's one of the great things about this game, learning how best to employ all the different weapons systems (look for future posts from me entitled: What the heck's all this smoke for anyhow? smile.gif )

even if you read a fair amount of military history you rarely get a good feel for how it all comes together until you actually try it.

The barrage and the attack have to be almost simultaneously to have maximum effect, since mortar barrages seldom kill
So they're mainly for suppression. That's very interesting. I thought I read somewhere that mortars were one of the biggest killers of infantry in WW2. Still infantry seem (realistically) vulnerable enough without upping mortar lethality I suppose.

, I like to parcel out the smaller caliber stuff (50mm & 60mm)to the individual platoons, so that each one has some support if they run into a dug-in MG or gun emplacement. The larger stuff usually works best grouped together and in command. They will serve as instant artillery...
I must admit that one of my biggest failings is to treat a mortar as a mortar and almost disregard it's caliber. Using heavy and light mortars as in your example is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

Once again thanks for the tips guys