Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

HQ units: Company vs. Platoon question

BDW

This may be utterly naive sounding (I am no military expert) but...

If squads receive a bonus for being in contact with the Platoon HQ unit, then shouldn't the PLatoon HQ units get a bonus if they are in contact with the Company HQ? (which would also benefit the squads)

It always seems like the COmpany HQ ends up hanging out in back with the arty spotters.

Could someone explain why it is the way it is? I just don't get it (admittedly becuase I don't know jack about this area). It seems to me like the Company HQ units should be more invovled in the actual combat. What what their historical role? How should I be using them?

thanks

Historically, the company HQ would sit back and let the platoon HQs direct their men in the fighting. A company headquarters is primarily administrative - the company first sergeant/company sergeant major/hauptfeldwebel or whatever you want to call the top NCO in the company handles stuff like POW collection, ammo distribution, paperwork, etc. The company HQ also has the company commander, second in command, company clerk, signalmen, drivers, storemen and all the guys whose job it is to support the riflemen in the platoons.

I am a company clerk in the Canadian Army reserve currently; but the role of a company HQ hasn't changed much in the last 100 years, nor from army to army. In actual combat conditions it would not be unusual to see the company commander in action but usually in a desperate battle, perhaps if officers and NCOs took a lot of casualties and a platoon was lacking leadership, but in most cases, officers tend to move up - ie a company commander taking over a battalion or a squad leader taking over a platoon.