Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Long time no forum

Hey, I haven't posted here in ages, but I have read the forum off and on for the last few years...

I am the forum member formerly known as "buddy" (old member#677) - sucks to lose the low number - BTS, if I can get it back it would be great.

Anyway, went to the archives to try and figure out how BTS acted just before they release CM1 (thinking I could compare it to how they are acting now)...I was reading the archive posts in alphabetic order (dates weren't listed chronologically) so I had little luck.

Can't wait for the demo and in no hurry to be first in line for the actual game - didn't rush the first time and received it no problem.

So welcome back Don't surf. Too bad you didn't come up with something on your comparisons. That darn BFC ( I believe this is how they prefer being addressed now ) is too sharp for us. I bet the game is out for months before we here on the board find out. :D So, see you around then.

BTS' posting behavior prior to the release of CM1 was completely different from that for the last year or so. Steve (and sometimes Charles too) used to dialogue with fans on a daily basis here on the board. Now Steve rarely puts in an appearance and Charles virtually never. Such contact as we have with BFC staff is now limited to Matt, Dan, and occasionally Moon. And those are seldom full-fledged dialogues.

There are no doubt multiple reasons for the change, some of which I can probably not even imagnine. But for one thing, the board itself and the number of posts on it has grown hugely. Four years ago, when work on CM began, I could log onto the board, read every post that had been put up in the previous 24 hours and write replies to several of them, all in an hour or less. Now I probably read less than 20% of a day's post, and that may take me three hours or more. My guess is that to maintain the previous level of attention and response, BFC would have to hire someone full time to do nothing else. And this person would have to be fully conversant in all the issues related to history and the game that can possibly come up here. And who doesn't require more than two hours of sleep a night. Where are you going to find someone like that?

Michael

Things are very different on this board these days - I can't remember when I first posted, but it was way before CM1 was released and the Battlefront guys would generally answer your posting by end-of-day, usually.

Just about all of the posts were about the game, which is something that has changed a lot as well. I have never understood what the Peng threads have to do with CM1 (although they're usually entertaining...)

I am looking forward to the new release, but I will always have a special feeling for CM1 because I feel like I had some input on that one - that was the cool thing about this forum, if you ask me.

Everyone posting at the time had input on the game and it didn't matter that most of the time my comments were thrown out or weren't feasible - once or twice hearing a few people say "Hey, that's something to consider..." made it kinda cool to be here.

My name is in CM1 too :D

How would I go about finding out when I posted first? Can you search by "displayed name" or something? My old username was buddy...