T34 Add-On Armor

The following write up was presented on the Russian Battlefield in the FAQ section in response to a question as to whether T34 had 60mm hull front armor:

"Here is my explanation. From December 1941, according to GBTU's order, the T-34s scheduled to be manufacture with 60-mm frontal armor, but Soviet industry was unable to do it. When it become clear, the Russians attempted to fit some T-34s with additional 15-20 mm armor plates, usually 15 mm. Also, these plated allowed to be made of common (non-armor) steel plates. Thus, 45 + 15 = 60 mm. The armor thickness of various turrets was different. Welded turrets usually had a 45-mm armor; cast turrets were of 48-52 mm armor, some latest turrets were of 56-58 mm armor."

One of the key phrases is that the additional 15mm could be made of non-armor steel plates. The ballistic resistance of this thickness might be about half of the actual thickness. I think that some pictures of T34 with added 15mm note that scrap plate was used.

It would be good if the above points could be verified.

Lorrin:

I have run across references to 1941 & 1942 T34/76's having appliqué armor welded onto the glacis (and I think the Turret as well). I will scrounge about in my references to see if there is anything definitive on the type of plate employed. I am guessing that the herky jerky nature of Soviet tank production during 1941 & 1942 would have encouraged the use of whatever scrap steel plate happended to laying about for appliqué. However this is only my opinion.