TF Montelimar: Ouch! How is it scored?

To any who understand the campaign scoring system, can you explain?

Just finished the 5 battle campaign "Task Force Butler" by Wild Bill Wilder as the Americans. EXCELLENT campaign - nice variety of weather and challenges.

However, I'm curious what I had to do to win? Over the 5 battles, I destroyed 73 Axis vehicles and some 600+ men, and at the end of the campaign I controlled the entire board and the Germans had only 17 men left.

As the Americans, I lost 26 vehicles (mostly recon elements) and ~203 casualties with 575 men still in the fight.

The scenario description implies a DESTROY mission and preventing the Germans from passing Montelimar. I destroyed the enemy force and prevented the passage - so why only a Tactical Victory? I thought I did quite well, but CM does not agree.

Any ideas?

CJ

CJ, first of all thanks. It's one I have enjoyed numerous times and still do...from both sides.

I've never fully comprehended the scoring system in CM. I'm ashamed to admit that, but it is true.

But then as is sometimes the case, I don't think a game (speaking in generalties here)always gives a score that is an accurate presentation of what has been accomplished by the human player.

Having done all that you did and stopping the retreating Germans and the attacks of the 11th Panzher Division, you have accomplished your mission...and well done, may I add.

When this happens I wish there were some way to award bonus points for the strategic victory of a smaller tactical conflict.

But please know that by doing what you have done you have slowed down the German retreat northward from Southern France and given the American and French Divisions a golden opportunity to help in cutting off a large group of Germans who may have escaped otherwise.

I think you got a decisive victory here. I think you should feel that way too!

Wild Bill

Wild Bill,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It's good to know that I wasn't missing something obvious. Regardless of the CM score, it was a terrific set of battles - very well designed. Please keep up the good work WBW -- you have brought many hours of "gaming goodness" to this wargamer!

Can't wait to see you get your hooks into the Russian Front in CM2... ;>

Warm regards,

CJ