Beginners Mod Tutorial

I assume you got the geocities - closed down for 2 hours because the site has gone beyond its allocated bandwidth - that sounds as if people are interested in the tutorial or possibly everybody has just remembered about my mod site and were downloading everything in sight! I have checked it is up now. If it is down again just bookmark it and go back to it later.

I have thought of moving my site to the space provided by ISP. With Geocities they just cut me off for two hours if everybody goes to the site at the same time – I could end up without a site and ISP if they got pissed at the bandwidth been used. Geocities do seem to have increased the bandwidth to my site from what it was like when I first put the mods up. My sites visitors increased from half a dozen to around 500 a month when I started the mod downloads section and I have no placement on any search engine!

I am fairly new moding myself – my thing is creating scenarios and campaigns. The example mod was a Hidden Unit Icon that are used in every game played. I suspect my next beginners tutorial if I do one will be on create a replacement icon for the scenario icons – as this involves a few more techniques.

I was hoping to persuade some of the more notable moders to explain how it is done. I did approach one of them who at first was happy with the idea but backed down when he found how hard a subject it is to explain.

If I have got some volunteers – I would prefer a complete tutorial explaining every step in creating a mod. However, I suspect it would easier and I would get more volunteeers if I just got the masters to explain a single technique and assume a great deal of knowledge in using Photoshop etc.

If you keen to do a complete mod pick the simplest uniform or tank you have ever done – you can always add extra special techniques at the bottom of your tutorial

It would involve taking screen shots of the process with explanation of each step in a word-processor. You can do the screen shots by pressing the print screen button then Edit Paste in Windows paint.

The tutorials will totally belong to the artists who do them – I will just be hosting them. Who knows a game-design book may want to print a few of them!