supporting units out of C and C

I'm puzzled by somthing. Due to the fact that units need to be in C and C, I feel I am somewhat limited in my attacks. There have been times when I wanted to call mortars down close to my postion, but because of keeping the mortars close and in contact with the hq unit, it was to close to the target to fire. This is also a problem with machine guns, having them in contact has limited my fields of fire. Any ideas.

Consider keeping support elements back w/ surplus pl/co/bn HQs. Keep in mind that while a rifle platoon come with, say, a PIAT and mortar attached, nothing says that the PIAT and mortar cannot be assigned to a different HQ further back. Ditto for machineguns and so forth -- teams, unlike squads, can benefit from any platoon HQ regardless of original assignment. One HQ w/ a command bonus, hidden in woods on a slope but with good forward LOS, can spot for numerous on-board mortars on the reverse slope...

Note also that if you have, say, a company HQ with excellent bonuses, and a couple of platoon HQs with none, you can take the grunts from the platoons, group them with the company HQ, and use the platoon HQs for support weapons if you feel the need to put 'em elsewhere.