Any luck with Anti-Tank Rifles?

Originally posted by Silencer:

PZIV rear is the weakest of all tanks in Kursk

put your atr rifles in forrests and hide, let the et pass, and then shoot.

KO several pzIV.

This tactic would be difficult with infantery around...

Good advice. For the first time this evening I managed to bag a couple of Pz IVs with PTRDs by waiting for them to roll past and shooting them up the chuff. Taking out two Pz IVs early on before a single ATk gun unmasks is a great way to start the scenarion.

It's hard enough to carry the tactic off as it is -- my losses for the game were 10 anti-tank riflemen, 1 tank hunter team member and 3 anti-tank gunners (4 ATGs lost), highlighting the plight af ATR men once they are spotted by the vengeful panzers.

All the best,

John.

[ September 04, 2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: John D Salt ]

Originally posted by coe:

anybody do a Pakfront with ATR's?

I made one in Citadelle, seeding three of the tank hunter teams along the shoulders of the road that goes through the copse of trees near the FEBA and three ATR teams in the trees towards the back of this grove.

The AI's panzers ended up by-passing the grove and the road, passing close to both flanks of the map. They spotted and destroyed the frontmost tank hunter team, but the others and the ATR's remained unspotted. When the panzers were 100m+ past the ATR's, I opened up on them. The four panzers never stopped and never spotted them. Over the course of 4 or 5 turns my three ATR's fired a total of 150 rounds at ranges that got up to 600m. Between a third and a half of all rounds fired were hits, with several dozen being full rear penetrations. We bagged one Mk IV at about 250m. range.

The ATR fire kept the panzers buttoned up, then my pair of KV1's opened up from 600m to their front. A nice combination.

The greatest irony of this particular game was that I had made a BIG pakfront-- 6 or 7 45mm ATGs-- in the forest along the edge of the map near the first objective flag, and planned to mass-target each panzer with the full battery as it got into LOS. The AI instead sent its massed armor skirting along this map edge, which meant passing close enough to the treeline (30m) that the group of tanks could spot each masked ATG in turn as it came within LOS and whack it piecemeal while the other ATG's were still out of sight. I lost the first four ATG's in exchange for a single tank before the AI decided to veer away from this "knife-fighting range" far enough that I could bring my remaining numbers to bear as planned.