Vossenack : bashed as Germans...

I'm currently playing a PBEM Vossenack with a friend (new CM player but old SL/ASL/SP player !). Playing double blind (none of us ever played it before), I got the Germans.

And well, at mid-game, I'm getting bashed badly : his troops seems more numerous, withstand my fire and send my men flying in the air with satchel charges !! frown.gif They also have more SMGs...

I know that I should have tried to remain at a longer range (MG42 better that BAR), but I have to go for the flags, and the buildings block LOS and make long range fire useless...

And one of my StuG get bogged, facing nowhere near the good direction eek.gif

If you've played it, did you find it balanced ? Perhaps I'm just plainly playing bad...

I had this one well tested, even in 2 player mode. Actually the 2 player mode is best for this one.

The forces are actually very even as you may want to check in the editor (after you finish your play). So are the distances to the objectives.

I'm not saying you are not playing well, by no means. I honestly don't think it is the scenario, however.

Sounds like you are up against a formidable opponent.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest SS Peiper

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

If you've played it, did you find it balanced ? Perhaps I'm just plainly playing bad...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played it same as you, and I found it to be a GREAT scenario. I got my butt kick by the Amies but it was because I use the wrong tactics. Play again when you finish and use a different approach.

SS Peiper

I'm playing this scenario in a double-blind PBEM as the Germans. The game isn't over yet, but I clearly will be the victor. It's turn 20, and I have the Amis on the run. I've decimated their infantry and killed off all their armor (2 with schrecks, one with a Stug, and one with the flak vehicle!). I have all but one of my AFVs alive, and plenty of infantry left in support. (To my opponent: Sorry, but it's true.)

Incidentally, there are good LOS for the MG42 if they are placed carefully (e.g., in tops of buildings), and of course you have to use your reinforcements to advantage. And the Germans have as good or better short range fire capacity with the MP44.

I think the scenario is well balanced, and a lot of fun to play. Another WBW winner!

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

I had this one well tested, even in 2 player mode. Actually the 2 player mode is best for this one.

The forces are actually very even as you may want to check in the editor (after you finish your play). So are the distances to the objectives.

I'm not saying you are not playing well, by no means. I honestly don't think it is the scenario, however.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trust you about playtesting and balance : so I must have used a wrong method... In fact I didn't expect such resistance from the Amis, and once close combat have been joined it's impossible to back up... My opponent intelligently played his support tanks and engineers, and I was overconfident in my PzGren squads.

Perhaps did I also have just plain bad luck (StuH bogged, Schrecks teams killed..) eek.gif .

Indeed it's a very tense and fascinating scenario. Great job Bill biggrin.gif !

And thanks for your answer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You CAN say that I didn't play well : I was not expecting such US resistance, I joined close quarter combat too foolishly, my opponent intelligently played his support tanks and kept a reserve... I can trust you for playtesting and balance, you've so much experience with this !

Or perhaps I got just bad luck (tank bogged, Schrecks team killed while out of main troubled area...).

Fascinating and tense scenario anyway, thx for this one and your kind answer Bill smile.gif

My pleasure Pascal. We all have "bad days" on the battlefield, believe me!

And I guess that is what makes CM so exciting! The most careful planning can often hinge on a Stug or a Schreck team. Something goes wrong, the plan goes awry.

I appreciate your confidence, my friend. You know i am always ready to listen and learn.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

My pleasure Pascal. We all have "bad days" on the battlefield, believe me!

And I guess that is what makes CM so exciting! The most careful planning can often hinge on a Stug or a Schreck team. Something goes wrong, the plan goes awry.

I appreciate your confidence, my friend. You know i am always ready to listen and learn.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right again, and humble ... this forum or even the whole world will be nicer places with people like you smile.gif

I really like the kind of evenly-matched scenario such as Vossenack, as they are real tests of players skill (even if this time I'll lose frown.gif ). Better than QB because all of the details, the "non randomness" and the playtesting !

I would *love* a Vossenack-like scenario, but in the Normandy bocage : did stg like that exists already ?

Perhaps also there should be "one-player variants" (two of them..) with some advantage for the AI - an additional platoon or tank for example.

I didn't try much giving "advantages" in my 1-player games, perhaps a +1 experience gives a similar result ? Did you tried this in playtesting ?

If he's good, they most likely will be, Panzer Man. The AI is occasionally a little too cautious, even when set to be highly aggressive.

I won't say more. I don't want to "spoil" it eek.gif

Pascal, you are very kind. Thanks. I'm the first to admit that I'm just a hopelessly addicted wargamer and a lover of military history, nothing more.

Experience, trial and error and a lot of practice have brought me to where I am (whereever that might be rolleyes.gif )

Your idea is a fantastic one. Yes, there were battles just like that in the hedgerows. I'll start researching tonight for just such a battle. Thanks for the idea! That is a good one!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

Look for Blood and Bocage Scenario which I hope to release in about two weeks, Pacal. I took your idea and did something with it. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whaoooooh ! Great biggrin.gif

I finally managed to get serious stuff from this forums these days : I made people dig in to find some old, lost Mods files again available *AND* have the great WBW design a scenario to my taste smile.gif

Just wonderful...

BTW, Bill, twist it so I should always win (whatever the side I play) wink.gif

And thx again, I eagerly wait for the release, I'm ready to playtest it... against you !

I think I would be too easy an opponent for you, Pascal! I love to play but I am not the strong opponent that you would need. I'd put you to sleep while you leisurely kicked my butt.

Your idea is a good one, and I think it will work well.

But you can playtest it if you wish. No problem there....Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

I think I would be too easy an opponent for you, Pascal! I love to play but I am not the strong opponent that you would need. I'd put you to sleep while you leisurely kicked my butt.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baaah, you're much too modest ! How can you think I'm tough, I only got here to complain I'm being bashed while playing rolleyes.gif !

Hello to all. I'm the one against who Pascal is playing the Vossenack scenario and is getting "bashed", as he said. I find the scenario perfectly balanced, and I think, as he knows, that Pascal made some fatal mistakes, mainly keeping his Panzer in reserve for too long and using his artillery too early, while I made exactly the opposite : close-supporting my infantry with tanks, using my artillery late in the scenario but against his strongpoint, and keeping a strong infantry reserve that shifted from one point to another at the crucial moment... Also, I'm not a newcomer to tactical games as I was the editor of Tactiques, the French ASL fanzine, and also of CyberStratege, that Wild Bill must know ! So, Pascal, stop complaining and get you Panther on the front right now, I just can't wait to storm it with DC.

Theophile Monnier

Kevin, I dropped you an e-mail. Pascal, anyone who takes on Theophile is a brave soul.

This man has all the French passion and a good knowledge of war. Better you than me!

Theophile, you old warhorse! It's very good to hear from you. Glad to see you are in the CM arena.

I am constantly pleasantly surprised at seeing old friends into this great new wargame.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com