Converting mods to be CMMOS compatible...

First, all mods are CMMOS compatible. What is more important is whether or not they are CMMOS-enabled. I only belabor the point because the 'compatible' terminology tends to give people a misleading impression of what CMMOS actually does.

The largest collection of CMMOS-enabled mods that I know of is sitting in several places on CMHQ. The second largest CMMOS collection is usually sitting in the invisible testing area of those involved in the CMMOS project. There is a conspiracy afoot to CMMOS-enable everything, eventually. So it's not a bad idea to check with the CMMOS cabal first because somebody may already be working on the fourth comprehensive edition of the very thing you were interested in.

Anyone can CMMOS enable a mod. All that is needed is a little understanding of how CMMOS works, and a bit of patience. First, Gordon has included a marvelously instructive and continuously updated readme file with CMMOS that tells you how the program works and gives very detailed and explicit examples of the syntax required. Second, you'll need to write a RuleSet which is nothing more than a set of instructions telling the CMMOS program what to do. Third, you'll have to give file name extensions to any bmps mentioned in your RuleSet. Sometimes (but not always) you also have to make additions to the File lists. Then you have to de-bug, because as simple as it sounds it never quite works the way you think it will. Finally, you get someone to test it for you. This is necessary because after debugging the RuleSet will always work on your computer because of all those tiny little fixes that you made and then forgot about, but won't necessarily work on someone else's. At this point you're ready to publish.

[ March 06, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Ok then...

So is it hard to write the ruleset? Can i send a mod to someone and get them to write a ruleset for it?

I know nobody else has done it because it is my own mod. I use my own moddified version of Wolfe's Grass.

[The following is copied from an e-mail]

If I understood your posting correctly you want a RuleSet for a personal grass set.

Attached find a Rule and an Icon. Assuming that you have downloaded Field and Stream, or at least the Grass section (RuleSet 351), just add this icon and Rule to the RuleSet 351 folder.

Next, make a copy of your grass and put it in a separate folder. Add an extension of _st to each bmp. If you're feeling lazy, make an extra empty folder and use the BMP Munge program that comes with CMMOS. Then, when you have your bmp's with altered extensions in a safe place and they look ok, copy them to your CMBO BMP folder.

I haven't tested this thing (can't, for obvious reasons) but it should work. If it doesn't, e-mail me.

Unquote

And if you hate the icon I used you'll probably have to explain yourself to Marcel Vie. Alternatively, don't say anything, take a screenshot of some grass with your mod, go into Paint, save the screenshot, crop it down to a manageable size and an interesting image, and shrink it to 64x64 pixels. Then rename it so that it has the same name as my trademark Maxfield Parrish dreamer (I think the name is "st_g").

[ March 07, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]