Lonely Country (AAR & Feedback Request)

[spoiler warning]

I'm looking for some advice on how to approach the Lonely Country battle.

I've played through this battle as the Russians and suffered a major defeat.

What I did: For the sake of argument I'm going to call the corner of the map with the objective flag 'north'. I decided that with all the rocky terrain along the south west side of the map that I'd move my infantry through that area, then over the slight hills with threes to approach on the flag; avoiding the 'bowl' in the center of the map and the open terrain on the east side of the map. I have my T34s setup generally hull down to the opposing side of the map along the north edge of the setup boundry.

I soon discover the nasty STuG IIIGs and my hull down T34-M43's are apparently powerless. I loose an one platoon of them - a platton that couldn't find any cover. The other two platoon's manage to get out of LOS amongst the scatteret trees and various dips in terrain.

Realizing I needed side shots on those STuGs I decided to forget about tanks for the time being and focus on the infantry advance. I'm able to advance the infantry west through the rocky terrain and scattered trees with satisfaction - I use Maxim MG to area fire on the tree'd hills, suspecting likely ambushes and was able to confirm some enemy presence. Also by this time one enemy StuG has disapeared for a while, the other has turned his attention to my advancing infantry and has exposed his side. I get a few tanks my T34's out of the scattered trees and onto the road for quick shoot and scoot's but didn't manage to take the STuG out before retreating due to his rotating.

I continue to improve my position on the first little hill on the west side which i've been doing a decent job of pinning and harassing the german's on - I'm too chicken to attempt an assault so I play it safe by staying in the rocky terrain around the base of the hill and just wittling down the germans there. Time however is running out; if only I could bring a T34 into support, but it seems insane with those STuGs out there.

Couple turns later and the one visible STuG has again exposed his side. I hunt forward down the raod with two T34's and I move two T34's into hull down positions more on the west side, thinking if I sacrifice one of these two to take out the STuG, then I'd be happy. Exactly this happens. I loose one of the two T34's on the west, while the east side T34's get side shots and take out the STuG. Whoopeee =) I then fast move my remaining west side T34 to support the infantry assault on the hill top. His final destination will be out of LOS of most of the North corner of the map as I know there is still another STuG there somewhere.

Sure enough the move reveals the STuG but the T34 makes it into position and out of LOS - I'm a little surprised how fast the T34 makes it the 300 m through patches of rocky terrain and scattered trees - in one turn! and now its just south of the hill my infantry have been working on for the past 5 turns. However its turn 20/20+ and the battle ends. I thought since I had a fairly intact infantry that the battle would go on, but I guess my loosing so many T34's and doing somewhat minimal damage on the germans, as well as having only made it half way to the objectve - the game ends. Major Victory for the Germans.

Bottom line, I feel I had limited space to which to try and work angles on the STuG's. Best I can get is about a 90 degree side angle, and that is only on the rare occasion the STuG will be silly enough to rotate that much, which I don't think it has to even do to cover the entire map - otherswise its 40-45 degree angles. Furthermore its all messy terrain that the tanks can't shoot and scoot through very well. There are patches that are open, but little cover for the T34s to break LOS in. So that whole approach seems bound to be risky.

How have others played this battle and how'd you do?

Originally posted by Khane:

Hello somazx

I've played Lonely Country and wrote a review at the Scenario Depot

Excellent, sounds like other's found it pretty challenging - that makes me feel a little better =)

I have some screenshots which may show you my approach .If you are interested I can sent them you

Khane

That would be good to see.

[ December 08, 2002, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: somazx ]

Originally posted by somazx:

Wow. Nice moves. Was this your plan the first time you played this battle? I'm guessing - no.

Wise guess :D

The first time I played the scenario I got butt kicked and ended with a humiliating Total Defeat. So the second time I took my time to study the map more attentively and found that the ditch is a perfect place to attack the Stug from the flank.

That's the difference between a game and real life. In a game you always have a second chance. ;)

Khane