The command HUNT

Being averagely lazy I only read the manual when something happens that I cannot do or don't understand. I fondly beleived for quite a while that if you gave a tank the hunt command it would sniff around like a bloodhound looking for the enemy and then eliminating its members one by one. Actually it's much more useful than that as I discovered when writing my latest tutorial scenario.

Imagine you have a long straight road and you suspect that there are ambushes along the way. Set the hunt command to the end of the road and your faithful tank commander will drive along it aware of the danger. As soon as he spots say an AT he will stop (and here is the remarkable thing) begin to turn his tank towards the danger as a defensive move while targeting it with his turret and when he has disposed of the threat will then quietly turn back towards the original direction and continue on his way.

The beauty of all of this is that this allows you to set up a platoon in the formation you prefer (diamond, refuse left or right, line or column) and they will then more or less stay in formation without constant micromanagement from you.

My entry for the wish-list when Combat Mission 3 appears on the shelves (or the internet) would be a formation command so that each driver would automatically return to formation after an encounter.