Walls and hedges

Do these give good cover? Can units shelter behind them as well as in a forest or something? Walls are obviously better, but hedges still have some value, right? Also, I heard that the somethingI treats behind a wall as open ground and units seek other cover when shot at while behind a wall. Is this true?

Originally posted by Tigrii:

Do these give good cover? Can units shelter behind them as well as in a forest or something? Walls are obviously better, but hedges still have some value, right? Also, I heard that the somethingI treats behind a wall as open ground and units seek other cover when shot at while behind a wall. Is this true?

Dunno about hedges, but I'm sure a search in the forums will reveal something.

My understanding is that walls will provide cover - it is just like any other piece of 3D terrain. However, the complexities of the logic in recognizing it as cover is beyond what the AI is designed to do. Rather than just "get behind a wall" it would have to determine a safe side and a dangerous side, and then factor in the length of the wall etc ... so it basically sees it as open ground.