help! Will a Wirblewind fire when driving?

Hi,

I am advancing a couple of tigers and one wirblewind in open country. The enemy aircraft made an (unsuccesfull) run on them, and the driving wirblewind never shot at them!! My question is, should i stop the wirblewind for the next turn in order for it to fire on aircraft?

Thanks in advance!

Ps.: Is this a good way to protect your heavy tanks against aircraft? I also have some flak, but i tought it best to have something to accompany my tanks.

Vehicles can fire while moving, but come to think of it, I've never seen on fire on an aircraft while moving.

In any case, firepower and accuracy are greatly reduced while moving so yes, you should find a nice spot to park your Wirble so it can fire on the planes.

As to whether the Wirble is the best buy to protect your tanks, that's hard to say. FlaK guns are a lot cheaper, but as you noted, your Wirble is mobile. Depends partially on the size of the map, I guess.

Cheers,

YD

One of my favs was taking out a Sexton at 700m, quite accidentally, as my Wirblewind was driving the other way, and got the KO with its turret traversed around 180deg. This after I bounced a number of shots off the Sexton, due to the range, and was driving it away to go Horrorize some infantry.

[ June 19, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

• 4 weeks later...

Just one comment: in protecting those Tigers, you might not want to get too close with the Wirbelwind. When under air attack it's best to spread out, as rockets and bombs are pretty inaccurate but have a big blast area. If the Wirbelwind gets knocked out by the fighter-bombers, then it's done its job by protecting the Tigers. That's a 2:1 points trade off I'd take any day.