PPSch41 vs all

My MP 40 jams like a b*tch if you load over 29 rounds, as most of them do, but the mag springs are showing their age.

On another note, the PPsH works much better dirty than it does clean, the rule of thumb is that if you have a jam with a PPsH first clear the jam, then throw a hand full of dirt into the works and try again.

E

Originally posted by JasonC:

"On the comparison between the various SMGs, one thing I note about the MP40 is that some of its mags were unreliable if fully loaded, due to the load on the spring. This may account for the conflicting reports on jam frequency, some finding it reliable and others saying it suffered jams. I've read that vets used to load a little under 30 rounds, into a 32 round clip, to reduce the chance of misfeeds. Once that was corrected, it seems it was otherwise reliable. A slight reduction in ammo capacity for greater reliability is obviously a worthwhile trade. I don't know this from any personal experience with any of them, but it sounds plausible to me. Many other guns have suffered from such (avoidable) mag and feed quirks.

I've read anecdotal evidence that the Thompson SMG suffered from a similar malady, tho rather than jamming the tendancy was for the fully loaded mag to occasionally fall out of the gun, so more experienced GIs loaded the magazine a few rounds short.

I've fired a Thompson, but only on a firing range, where one would be unlikely to experience this quirk.