CM and the riddle of the mortar range

A question I had in a threat about on map artillery.

Situation: I make a map, 4000m length. While this is no problem for 'real' artillery, it goes beyond the range of the 81mm mortar - not to speak about the larger CM:BB maps, when they can be longer then 6km, even the 120mm mortar will have problems. And this already when the mortar position is directly behind the border of the map.

As if this isn't mysterious enough : when I place an on-map mortar, it has indeed only a range of ~2400m.

Here are some maximum range examples:

British

3inch = 2500m

4.2inch = 3750m

German

81mm = 2400m

120mm ~6000m

28cm and 32cm Nebelwerfer = 2100m

Russian

82mm = 3100m

107mm = 6300

120mm 6000m

US

81mm = 3000m

How can it be?

[ February 13, 2002, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Puff the Magic Dragon ]

If you are attacking then only 1/5 of the maps is open to placement, and your 81mm assets would be on the "map" behind you. Luckily, the situation you are worried about would be extremely rare: firing at the far end of a 3km long map with 81mm mortars. In fact, we can assume that they are even setup on the board, but cannot move becuase that is where their wire drops are and commo setup is.

The reason we have to assume this is the engine cannot now, nor can it in the near future, handle the complexities of spotter based artillery that controls on board assets. However, a good scenerio designer can easily work around this rare condition. Since it is a rare situation in the game there is no need at this point to get all worked up about it.

BTW -- this was discussed a year and a half ago very extensively, and makes interesting reading if you can find it.

Puff,

in principle I agree with you. My comment was just a way of rationalising it for yourself. In general I agree with Slap - its not too big-of-a-deal, and besides there are IMHO other, bigger, issues with the modelling of artillery in CMBO (though maybe not with CMBB) ;)

Regards

JonS

JonS You are right, without doubt there are a lot of other and more important issues about the artillery. BTS made an excellent job with the most parts of CM - but IMO not with the artillery system.

Slapdragon I don't agree - 3x3 km was only an example. 9 skm can also mean 6km long, and 1.5km width.

And I think it makes a difference if the unit is on the map or not - on the map it is vulnerable to enemy fire. Be there, but visible because unmovable (if I understood you right), ehm, does not sound very realsitic to me.

BTW, how shall a scn designer work around this? And why is it a rare situation?