How effective is the "hide" command?

I REALLY want CM for Christmas, but for now I am stuck with the demo. Due to the lack of a decent manual, i'm sketchy in some areas of the game. I was just wondering how effective the hide command is, because it never works really good for me. In Valley of Trouble, i hide my infantry in foxholes IN woods. However, whenever enemy infantry gets close, they can spot me before my men ambush them (untargeted ambust without marker). I just hope someone can fill me in on some info.

Thanks, Matt

Oops, I forgot to add:

Always setup ambush markers all around-bout 90 meters out make sure all your guys can see most of them, this way you know where you can ambush best. Then you can set 1 of them w/your HQ SQD when you see the enemy & your guys will fire at that marker only- works for me. Let me know if it works for you, OK.

[This message has been edited by Grobdeutschland (edited 12-17-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Green troops fire at the enemy much sooner than regular or veterans do. Troops that are hiding WILL fire when they feel threatened.They don't want to let the enemy get with in grenade distance, do you blame them for that. They will usually engage at 30 meters or so. If you want better ambush capabilities then issue an ambush command with yout leader and have your troops target that.

Hide unfortunately doesn't work well with tanks in my experience.