COMBAT MISSIONS : Unit Research - Sherman

Thanks for your feedback on the Tiger gentlemen. I think i've learnt a few new things there myself! smile.gif I will add these to the site later this evening.

Next up...what many people believe, was the tank that won the War in the West...the "Sherman". Now obviously there are quite a few variants of the Sherman within CM, so the pro's & con's and the way you would tactically use a Sherman I, might be completely different to how you would use the Sherman Firefly for instance.

Feel free to either comment on the Sherman family in general, or by a specific version.

Thanks once again.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Here is something that i hope some people will take interest in about the tank in WWII. Yes the shermans won the war, but exactly how? People may argue a lot about the mechanical aspect, ease of replacement, and reliability. Well, its people that win a war, not a tank.

My Grandfather was a medic in this war. He told me everything from the germans hanging cable in the trees at night to damage jeeps or decapitate drivers, to about how the sherman tank crews felt about their german opposition.

The american tank drivers would on occassion purposely jam up the transmition on their own tank in order not to be forced into battle against the tigers. When you can't drive your tank, its kinda hard to get into trouble with it.

The point is the americans feared the tigers to a very high degree. Eventually, Germany lost many of their experienced tank crews, had supply problems, and just plain ran out of gas.

Finally, with that edge in combat, how were the shermans gonna lose? Once the tank crews got better, the machine found its place in history. If somehow the war woulda been lost, the sherman would be seen as a tank that couldn't blast its way out of a paper bag.

But thats my opinion