ATI Radeon 9800XT Issue/Solution

Just a quick tip regarding graphics cards...

I recently upgraded to an Intel 2.6GhHz CPU, Intel MB, 1GB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9800XT. Once I loaded CMBO, CMBB, or CMAK, the mouse would promptly cease to function. I could Alt-Tab out of the game to the Desktop, then Alt-Tab back into the game and the mouse would function thereafter. Also, several of the interface graphics, such as the mission graphic in the lower left corner, would flash on and off constantly. TCP or Hotseat games were impossible to play; each round would cause the mouse to become inoperative, resulting in the Alt-Tab Tango.

The Solution!

After fiddling with drivers for my mouse, sound card, video card, and DirectX, I then began experimenting with video settings. Everything failed (Ansiotropic Filtering, AntiAliasing, etc.) except for...Hardware Acceleration! Once I cranked that slider bar to its maximum setting, everything worked perfectly.

So, long story short...if you have a high-end ATI card and are experiencing CMBO/CMBB/CMAK strangeness, check your video acceleration settings.