CM retailer in Sweden: AAAARRRGGHH!!!

Finally I've been able to locate a shop (on-line) that sell CMBO (the CDV version) in Sweden. smile.gif (Most shops here don't even have a qlue that CM exist! :mad: )

Checking out what they have to say about CM I find:

Turbaserat strategispel i 3D

Ett turbaserat strategispel i 3D som utspelas under Andra Världskriget. Det har tidigare funnits tillgängligt som On-Line spel men nu har tillverkarna programmerat om spelet så det även går att spela i singleplayer-läge. Spelet kombinerar djup strategi med häftig action.

Pris: 539:-

My translation:

Luck based strategy game in 3D

A luck based strategy game in 3D that takes place in WW2. It has previously been available as an On-line game but now the manufacturers have reprogrammed it to allow single player mode. The game combines deep strategy with awsome/intense action.

Price: 539:- [sKr, ~55 EUR/USD]

Comment: "Turbaserat" might be translated as "turn based", but it's not the first association that comes to mind. A better Swedish word would be "omgångsbaserat".

In three sentences they manage to squeeze in one poorly chosen word, two factual errors and a very vague actual description of the game! :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

My comment on that site points out the most obvious errors...

The price 539:- is also the most expensive game I found on that site (not doing any extensive search).

The five most recent releases were less than 500, with "Spiderman" at 499 and the other about 429.

The 2nd most expensive strategy game is "Black and White" at 489.

I'm going to offer my help to write a better description of CM (and CMBB, once released).

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Finally I've been able to locate a shop (on-line) that sell CMBO (the CDV version) in Sweden. smile.gif (Most shops here don't even have a qlue that CM exist! :mad: )

Checking out what they have to say about CM I find: </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Turbaserat strategispel i 3D

Ett turbaserat strategispel i 3D som utspelas under Andra Världskriget. Det har tidigare funnits tillgängligt som On-Line spel men nu har tillverkarna programmerat om spelet så det även går att spela i singleplayer-läge. Spelet kombinerar djup strategi med häftig action.

Pris: 539:-

My translation:

Luck based strategy game in 3D

A luck based strategy game in 3D that takes place in WW2. It has previously been available as an On-line game but now the manufacturers have reprogrammed it to allow single player mode. The game combines deep strategy with awsome/intense action.

Price: 539:- [sKr, ~55 EUR/USD]

Comment: "Turbaserat" might be translated as "turn based", but it's not the first association that comes to mind. A better Swedish word would be "omgångsbaserat".

In three sentences they manage to squeeze in one poorly chosen word, two factual errors and a very vague actual description of the game! :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

My comment on that site points out the most obvious errors...

The price 539:- is also the most expensive game I found on that site (not doing any extensive search).

The five most recent releases were less than 500, with "Spiderman" at 499 and the other about 429.

The 2nd most expensive strategy game is "Black and White" at 489.

I'm going to offer my help to write a better description of CM (and CMBB, once released).

Cheers

Olle</font>

Greetings from Finland!

Well I'm not Swedish, but I understood "turbaserad" as "turn based" (det är din tur nu) - but it means also luck.

Don't worry about the price - the game is worth every cents (note, we have Euros ;) ) it costs.

Even in Finland the price basically in every shop is that 50EUR.

Just buy it and if you give them a proper Swedish description of the game you can always ask some discount when buying it ;)

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

Just buy it and if you give them a proper Swedish description of the game you can always ask some discount when buying it

I won't buy it, since I have the "original" since two years.

I have, however, offered to give them a full written description of CMBO and CMBB for a free copy of CMBB ASAP. smile.gif

(Don't know if they'll buy it though...)

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Don't know if they'll buy it though...

Most probably not. As far as I understand things, is that these type of work is done by translationfirms hired by the distributors, who then pass the translations on to the retailers.

Unfortunately bad translations are common due to a thankless job and customers who do not like to pay for quality.

M

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

Unfortunately bad translations are common due to a thankless job and customers who do not like to pay for quality.

Moreover the most common English-XXX-English dictionaries do not carry too much specialized jargon, especially military.

If the poor sap doing the traslation has no idea what the text is all about he/she will reach out for the dictionary and pull the first equivalent listed he/she thinks is the best. I did not know if I should cry or laugh when I saw the Finnish full page add for MoH using the term mortar (denoting the old siege cannon type) as the translation. I just checked the digital dictionary I have and the term does not get translated from Finnish to English in it. The proper term for modern mortar does not appear in English to Finnish translation in it. smile.gif

However, the proper modern term is correctly translated when you go from Finnish to English. redface.gif

Also, it does not help if they try to be hip and use the most recent local slang word derived from the English original. smile.gif

It's very frustrating to watch the translated subtitles of movies as well. In some of the worst mistakes they not only get rid of any 'style' of the original speech, but they manage to reverse the meaning as well. It's probably mostly because they have to work too quickly.

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

As far as I understand things, is that these type of work is done by translationfirms hired by the distributors...

In this case I doubt it.

It's more probable that some shop employee took a quick glance at the text on the box and then made something up from that. :(

Cheers

Olle