Fionn's Marseille scenario analysis (SPOILERS)

Thegamers web site has an interesting analysis of the "Road to Marseille" CM scenario. In my "second-guessing" mode, here is my own take on fionn's analysis.

BTW, did anybody else notice that the overhead map in this article is not the map of the scenario (check out the picture with the side view)? confused.gif

SPOILER ALERT!.

Fionn's analysis is interesting an possibly the best way to win this scenario as the Allies cool.gif, but where I beg to differ is Fionn's statement that the right-wing assault is the ONLY way to win this scenario confused.gif. If that were the case, the Germans could twart that by defending only against that avenue of attack. wink.gif

Despite the fact that the left avenue of approach is relatively open, there are a few compensating factors:

1) The center is fairly well covered with woods, which can be used by infantry to support an attack on the left flank, and there are clear terain lanes there to allow fast shifting of tanks from the right to the left;

2) The left flank has three stone walls next to the road, two on the right and one on the left further up, which can be used for cover for infantry and tanks.

3) The left flank is likely to be less defended than the right, since it is so "obvious" that the way to go is to concentrate on the right flank.The scenario is 20 moves, which gives the foot infantry enough time to reach the objective flags or at least to get close enough to make a difference (if you don't make the mistake that I did wink.gif).

4) All the objective flags are on houses on the left flank.

Therefore, based on the strategy principle "Hit the enemy where he least expects it", on the geometry principle that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line and on the above considerations, I propose an alternate strategy where the main attack is on the left flank. Here it is biggrin.gif, which is what I tried in my own game before reading Fionn's analysis(more on my game later).

I sent all my Stuart tanks to the right flank and center except for two, which I kept on the left flank in order to support the infantry advance and to attrit the Germans. Two of the tanks sent to the right center, after banging away at some Germans in the woods on the right, veered left and went through the clear ground to support the attack on the left. The main purpose of the attack on the right was to fix the enemy in place and to prevent him from moving to support the defense around the objective flags.

The foot infantry Company goes up through the center,using the woods and the two stone walls for cover, and the infantry Company on the left is mounted on halftracks which slowly move up towards the objectives, using machineguns to suppress the Germans shooting at the foot infantry on their right.One of the tanks on the left uses the nearest stone wall to the right of the road for cover and the other leads the halftracks left of the road while staying far enough away from the Germans to avoid Panzerschrecks.The left-wing motorized attack must not move closer until they can be supported by the infantry in the center.

In my game, this worked pretty well, except that I made the mistake of sending my foot infantry in the center through a marsh, which delayed them for almost 10 moves so that my attack in the center was uncoordinated and piecemeal. Despite this, I pulled out a draw and inflicted casualties of 2:1 to the Germans.The Stuarts on the right and in the center, along with the British infantry that I did not spot until well into the scenario did a good job of hammering the German hordes on the right, especially when they began to move to their right after they saw an offensive mounting there. If my marsh-bound infantry had arrived earlier, I am convinced that the Germans would have been crushed.

As it was, I had not much trouble moving my infantry in the center and posting them behind the stone walls and in the woods from where they could fire at the Germans in the houses and moving from the center.When there was enough support from the center, I moved my tanks and halftracks up the road in a line formation without losing a single vehicle. I disembarked the infantry at the stone wall just in front of the big building on the left side of the road and took the building and the objective there with almost no casualties. The other platoon disembarked near the first house on the right and ran up the road to try to take the second house on the right; unfortunately this was insufficiently supported and they were wiped out.I lost one Stuart when I ran it behind the German positions from the right to the left, hoping to take the objectives from behind -bad idea withour infantry support.

In the center, I took more casualties than I would have if my foot infantry had not bogged down, but they did arrive in time to have a major impact, although by that time the heroic British and advance US Platoon had pretty much paid with their blood for preventing any significant German movement to the left.

In sum, I believe that the fact that I got a draw despite my marsh problem (which could have been fatal since it was almost half of my infantry) shows that the approach of attacking on the left and in the center with a pinning operation on the right is a feasible strategy. Although I can't be sure, I think that playing it right should lead to a major victory for the Allies, at least against the PO. cool.gif

Comments welcome

Henri

I have played it once as the Allies and had no problem going the left flank route. Actually, Henri's tactics seem really close to what I did with the exception of the marsh!

The Infantry

I ran a platoon bounding up the left edge of the map using the trees for my overwatch positions. This was enough cover for me to close in on the buildings and gain a toehold on the crossroads. My forces in the center didn't do a whole lot at first; my main intent was to use them as a blocking force to prevent reinforcements from the other side of the map. Next came the HT assault on the large building in the center which pretty much wrapped it up except for the stragglers.

The AFVs

I kept the HTs back in the trees to provide long-range fire support for both the left flank platoon and some for the rest of the infantry in the center. The Stuarts were spread out at first to provide long range fire support but I moved them all after the first few turns to support the main (left flank) thrust. I only ended up losing one near the center (to mortar fire, I think).

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

About the picture... That's a cluster**** and my fault IIRC.

As for my conclusion...

I outline what I feel is the "best" attack. It certainly isn't the ONLY attacking strategy which will win but I generally try to outline the easiest one for relatively inexperienced players.

The way I approach the analysis is that I'm trying to outline the simplest way to win at the least risk. Other strategies are definitely possible BUT they mightn't be as simple and risk-free.

I think the fact that your attack led to a draw vs the AI on the first play speaks for itself insofar as it outlines the casualty potential when attacking along the left axis. A good player can certainly attack along the left axis and win BUT he will suffer more casualties than if he had attacked on the right flank IMO. (this was one of the points I made clearly in my analysis if you recall).

For a newbie who is going to suffer more casualties just due to inexperience the difference between a left flank attack and a right flank attack could be the difference between a bloody loss and an easy win.

In short, the analyses are meant for newbies and players looking to gain some experience in reading the ground in a more effective manner. They represent ONE way of winning and not the only way. They do, however, represent the best way of winning IMO. Best can mean either quickest or with the least risk in my book.

I believe that in that AAR I might have stated that the right flank was the only way to attack but what I more properly meant was it was the only way I could see relative newbies actually managing to attack and still keep their infantry and tanks relatively intact.

Also Henri, as you stated, the AI won't punish you for poor execution. I think we both know that a competent human player could severely have punished your forces given the attack you developed ( especially if the German player adopted the setup I suggested.. based on initial German setups).

I still think the advance on the right with a wheeling turn into the German left flank and rear is the way to win the scenario as quickly and easily as possible. Vs a human opponent your attack strategy is simply inviting heavy infantry losses which you simply can't afford.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

I still think the advance on the right with a wheeling turn into the German left flank and rear is the way to win the scenario as quickly and easily as possible. Vs a human opponent your attack strategy is simply inviting heavy infantry losses which you simply can't afford.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I`m only suggesting that the right flank attack may not be the only one possible, if it were the Germans wouldn`t have to defend their right flank! How would the right flank attack fare then, against the whole of the German defence. You know I have the highest respect for your strategic ability smile.gif.But I like to pick at certainty...

Seems to me you were the one suggesting in another AAR that one should strike where one is not expected wink.gif.

Anyway, I guess the proof is in the pudding, and we won`t know whether my idea is any good until someone actually tries it out against another human (Intelweenie doesn`t say if he played against a human or the PO).

Henri