Sound card suggestions?

I currently own one of the original SBLive! X-Gamers. I'm thinking of upgrading. Can anybody recommend anything? I've got a DVD drive on my system now and I'm interested in something that supports Dolby 5.1 Surround. I've checked out the new SB Extigy, the external soundcard that has all the Dolby Digital decoders in it 'n stuff. Amazon.com has it for $126. Is that a good deal?

[ July 14, 2002, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: StarFleet Captain ]

Run a search, but I recommend keeping what you have and putting your money into a real amp and real speakers -- even the cheapest amp and home stereo speakers will sound about ten thousand times better than the best "computer speakers".

Somebody asked the same thing about two or three weeks ago and I rambled on at-length about this. smile.gif

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

Run a search, but I recommend keeping what you have and putting your money into a real amp and real speakers -- even the cheapest amp and home stereo speakers will sound about ten thousand times better than the best "computer speakers".

Somebody asked the same thing about two or three weeks ago and I rambled on at-length about this. smile.gif

For games, my soundcard and speakers are just fine, but I was really concerned with getting something newer that supports the 5.1 surround.

Need that LFE more than anything.