Pricing: Jeep .50 versus SPW250/9 - PSW234/1

Guest grunto

Guest grunto

I've noticed in combat that the Jeep .50 still reigns supreme over the PSW234/1 and SPW 250/9.

These German vehicles have a 20mm gun on them.

They should take out .50 jeeps with relative ease but always get the worse of the encounter from what I've seen.

For its performance the Jeep .50 should cost 30-35 points.

It seems as though the 20mm gun 'trails' the jeep as it runs around.

Andy

In one game (1.03) I had a MK IV chasing around a .50 cal jeep. It was pretty hilarious. The AI jeep was tooling around unloading at the tank and killing my infantry teams. The tank couldn't engage it because it was too fast--the turret couldn't keep up with it. The engagement range was very close and I seriously doubt that a real world jeep crew would have stayed around or ever engage armor that close. Sometimes I forget that this is just a game.. I served in a jeep-mounted TOW platoon, and I know we would never be crazy enough to do something like that. Other than a few nit picks, this is still the greatest wargame around.......

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

It seems as though the 20mm gun 'trails' the jeep as it runs around.

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They both have 'slow' turrets. Similar to Tigers 'trailing' M5 Stuarts. smile.gif

FWIW, there have been issues brought up in the past on the apparent reluctance of these vehicles to engage infantry. Maybe a similar problem here?

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest grunto

Part of my original posting was in response to getting whipped by the AI tactically in a situation where one jeep .50 took out 3 20mm-armed German AFVs.

Still though it seems like the 20mm should be just a tad bit more effective against the jeep. I'm talking about situations where the movement of the target vehicle is not causing the firing vehicle to have to turn its turret, but where the rounds from the 20mm seem to fall just short of the moving jeep. I'm sitting there thinking that the Jeep must be awfully lucky to be surviving those repeated 6-shot bursts, because to my mind if a single one of those shots were to hit the jeep it would stand a good chance of disabling it.

I have read about a similar situation with 20mm versus infantry targets. It seems to me that the 20mm is just not quite effective enough against moving targets. It's great against stationary targets or anything at really close range. But out out several hundred meters it seems like the gunners never adjust their fire and it most often trails the target instead.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

Still though it seems like the 20mm should be just a tad bit more effective against the jeep. I'm talking about situations where the movement of the target vehicle is not causing the firing vehicle to have to turn its turret, but where the rounds from the 20mm seem to fall just short of the moving jeep. I'm sitting there thinking that the Jeep must be awfully lucky to be surviving those repeated 6-shot bursts, because to my mind if a single one of those shots were to hit the jeep it would stand a good chance of disabling it.

Andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree.

I made a test scenario (in 1.05) with German SPW 250/9 and PSW 234/1 against two American MG-jeeps. German units were crack and Americans were only regular.

I put jeeps to rush stationary German vehicles at full speed from 1000m range face to face on completely flat terrain. So no turret movements were needed from halftracks to engage jeeps.

I was astonished to see how the determined jeeps proceeded to the halftracks and then destroyed them from close range. The whole time the Germans kept firing with MGs and 20mms but to no avail. The jeeps were invulnerable to all fire.

I spent 156 points on those Axis units and only 38 points on the jeeps. Talk about disparity in effectiveness. The playtesters have surely missed this one.

MG-jeeps are "the secret weapon" until they get fixed.

Ari

[This message has been edited by Ari Maenpaa (edited 09-03-2000).]