Question about 88s

Matt

I've heard of 88's being used for ID a few times.

I think during O.M.G., King Tigers dispatched to the fighting could not get to the battle areas due to soft ground so were used as indirect artillery, firing from the periphery of the action.

During the supporting infantry attack on one of the kursk salient shoulders (don't remember if it was the north or south shoulder), several regiments of flak including beaucoup 88's were used in both direct and indirect fire support roles. I got this from a US Army report prepared by former german officers on the subject of ostfront makeshift and emergency war-fighting measures. The flak was reportedly very effective, particularly the direct fire which all but annihilated the first Russian defensive positions.

So you think in BoB they are eluding to 88-itis much the same as GIs coming under fire by German tanks and calling anything they see Tigers but when Winters gets back to report what they actually took out he gets it right?
Akin perhaps to the so called Spitfire Snobbery of the Battle of Britain, where captured German pilots refused to concede they'd been shot down by Hurricanes.