Odd bug: What if they held a war and nobody came?

I've just achieved a CM:BB flawless victory in a somewhat unusual manner. I started a 500-point quick battle with almost everything set to "random", the computer picking both sides, and took the Allies. The game ended on turn 1 with an Axis surrender. The reason for this, on inspecting the map, was that the computer had not chosen any forces at all for the Axis side.

Has anyone else seen this?

All the best,

John.

Yes, John. Somebody else reported a similar experience a few weeks ago. AIRI, the speculation ran that the computer chose a force type that in the next step it turned out it could not afford to purchase any units of. Ergo, no units. I think they were working from a smaller point allocation than yours though. Should probably be considered a bug. You might think of contacting Steve about it. Good if you have a saved game file to send along.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Yes, John. Somebody else reported a similar experience a few weeks ago. AIRI, the speculation ran that the computer chose a force type that in the next step it turned out it could not afford to purchase any units of. Ergo, no units. I think they were working from a smaller point allocation than yours though. Should probably be considered a bug. You might think of contacting Steve about it. Good if you have a saved game file to send along.

Michael

The "can't pick a force" problem was one I considered. However, taking the force I thought most likely to prevent any useful selection (high quality armour) for the same time period, I was capable of selecting a force (not a good one, by a long way, but a force).

I have now managed to reproduce the error once, but other times the computer picks a force quite happily. So the fix is quite easy -- "try it again!".

Anyone else know anything about this, before I start pestering Steve?

All the best,

John.

• 2 weeks later...