CMBB alternative squads

Perhaps there is a way to model civilains. Use split squad size units, mod them in civilian cloths with no ammo, and place them in villiage houses and towns on some scenarios or maps. Civilian casualties would be tallied for both sides and kept track of like other casualites, then of course be used as a negetive modifier to the point total for each side.

With this implemented i think would keep down the liberal use of torching other wise un occupied houses to keep the enemy at bay. Also Wild Artillary barrages and building and property damage would have more of an effect on the game rather then the "Hulk Smash" mentality of many player vs. player games. Just a thought...

Kind of a neat thought. There could be a lot of problems with this idea, though.

If you were going to do that you should make them conscript troops and give them shaken or worse morale.

Also, if my arty spotter walks into a house were 6 shaken, conscript (american) "civillians" with 0 ammo . . . I still think my Arty spotter will have the crap beat out of him.

(Actually, that might not be unrealistic.) smile.gif

Also, ordinary joes will give valuable intel to whichever commander is on the scene who's "people" are on his side.

But ordinary people don't really need to be on the scene.

Gpig

Originally posted by DarthMaul:

[snips]

Civilian casualties would be tallied for both sides and kept track of like other casualites, then of course be used as a negetive modifier to the point total for each side.

This might make some sense for CM:BO, although I note that the presence of large numbers of friendly civilians didn't stop us bombing the bejasus out of Caen. However, for the Eastern front, I can't see either Uncle Joe or the Little Corporal being much fussed about incidental civilian deaths, either their own or the other side's.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by DarthMaul:

With this implemented i think would keep down the liberal use of torching other wise un occupied houses to keep the enemy at bay.

Also Wild Artillary barrages and building and property damage would have more of an effect on the game rather then the "Hulk Smash" mentality of many player vs. player games.

Why would a game thats attempting to accurately model one of the most ruthless & destructive confrontations in military history...

inacurately model an attempt at limiting civilian casualties and property damage ?

One reason civilians are being left out is probably because putting them in would mean having to accurately depict mass casualties

Not something, I think, that anyone wants