Seeking some tactical advice . . .

Situation.

Setting up as the Germans for the final push in an ADVANCE op.

I've reached the end of the map.

There's only 600 or so Meters left to go. But the map is 1500m wide.

Light snow conditions. Overcast.

Enemy forces have been badly mauled, but they no dobut have recieved reinforcements in the past few hours.

I too, have been worn down. Mostly in leg infantry. Around a Company left.

I've got plenty of armor. (PzIV's and V's.) I've also got some halftracks.

The map is 2/3rds wooded (tall pines and scat. trees) to my left. And 1/3rd farmhouses and open fields to my right. A tree lined road heading north, divides the terrain.

My problem is . . . I need to "Advance," but this is the end of the map.

The woods provide many hiding places for enemy ambushes. I've only got a limited ammount of manpower to comb the woods.

What would YOU do?

Gpig

P.S. I might be giving my opponent some idea about my conundrum, but I've second-guessed myself into a state of paralysis. I cannot set-up and be convinced about my PLAN. I'm just looking for some ideas to break my "tactitians block." smile.gif

From gpig:

What would YOU do?
Hmmm...Go on vacation??

Actually, in this situation I would use either 2/3 or all of my remaining infantry in the woods, and use my halftracks (or the 1/3 of your infantry if you use that option) to lead my armor through the farmland. As soon as someone opens fire from a farmhouse or behind a wall, I would use massed firepower from my armor to destroy it. I would slowly and systematically work my way through, especially since you only have 600 meters left to go.

[ May 13, 2002, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: wbs ]

i would send in 2 half squads with a platoon leader with a +2 sneak bonus to comb the woods,this way u would have a fair idea where the enemy inf are,was the battle an assault or attack,if it was the enemy inf could be dug in in the woods,be careful,once u spot some infantry,use arty to flush em or ft units if u have them to burn the woods,trees.keep ur armor well away from the wooded areas until u know they contain no inf.hope that helps :D

Yeah. Sounds good.

I guess this "Advance" has pretty much turned into a Destroy op. I mean, I can't go any farther than 600m, so I guess I might as well try and smoke 'em out and let loose with the big guns.

My guess is that the enemy will just lay low, and force me to root him out. It could be costly. Deep in the woods, my armor will not be able to help.

Thanks,

gpig

Actually, no. I'm playing against a cagey and ENTIRELY unpredictable human opponent.

In fact, you know the maxim that goes (somthing like) . . .

"You can rely on your enemy to do exactly what you did not expect."

(Or words to that effect.)

For the 2nd battle in this op, I prepared a grand manuever. It had EVERYTHING! Combined arms in complex encirclement. It would have been perfect if my opponent hadn't dashed the whole plan on TURN 1!! smile.gif

So I am worried that this last battle is going to be equally hard to imagine.

Gpig.

P.S. Hey H.U., I like your idea of using a recon force under a stealthy leader. Unfortunately, I've only got 15 minutes for this last battle. But, I guess if I rush, I'm just gonna lose men. Hmmmm, interesting.

only 15 mins left,hmmmm,it seems like ur gonna have to expend some units then,and hopefully your opponent will take more casualties than u,just make sure u keep ur remaining inf under c+c at all times,have u spotted any of his armor???,if u have,i would engage them first,plenty of victory points to be taken there,i would say!!!!ur tigers should be able to take care of anything he has got ;)