What next?

I received CM:BB on Friday. Over the weekend I played Iron Roadblock as a tutorial and Jaeger (great scenario! ) from both sides. I also played a few QB's against the AI.

So, CM veterans, I ask you this. What scenarios would you recommend next against the AI? Also, what side should I play first. For example, Jaeger seems much better having the AI play the Axis and should be played that way first in my opinion.

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but can anyone tell me a little more about getting started with Play By Email? I'll do some more digging and searches for info on these questions too, but here they are...

How long does a typical game take? Is there any etiquette that I should know about? Where should a newbie look for opponents of a similar experience level?

Thanks for any help!

- Tripwire6

Tripwire6 said:

So, CM veterans, I ask you this. What scenarios would you recommend next against the AI? Also, what side should I play first.
Gotta plug my own creation: Golzow smile.gif . Try it as the Germans first.

can anyone tell me a little more about getting started with Play By Email? ... How long does a typical game take? Is there any etiquette that I should know about? Where should a newbie look for opponents of a similar experience level?
Starting a PBEM game is easy. Just pick a scenario or a QB and start the game as normal. But when you come to the screen where it asks how you want to play, pick PBEM instead of single player smile.gif . Once you get through the initial set-up, the game stops and you save the PBEM file. Then you email that to your opponent. When he sends it back, you play it by selecting the "joing multiplayer" button instead of the "start game" button on the splash screen.

PBEM games usually take a couple months to complete. The battle will have about 30 turns and each turn requires 2 exchanges of files between the players, so usually it takes 2-4 days to do one turn.

Because of this, finding the right opponent is critical. It's a long-term commitment and all too often, your opponent will just disappear on you for whatever reason. I confess to this failing myself, so don't play me smile.gif . I recommend instead that you jump into the Peng threads you see here all the time. Those guys are avid PBEMers, and the Peng threads exists for them to hurl inventive insults at each other as their games progress. So jump into the current Peng thread, hurl a few insults, get challenged, and go for it.

Because of the time requirements of PBEM, I prefer to play TCP/IP. You can knock out a complete game in an hour or 2 this way.

As for opponent skill, I highly recommend NOT fighting equally skilled players. Also fight guys better than yourself so you can learn their techniques.

Cruel !................

Bullethead....

"So jump into the current Peng thread, hurl a few insults, get challenged, and go for it"

Oh i've got to keep a lookout for his diving into the PENG and hurling abuse .....

:eek:

Bound to make some new friends though :D

Lou2000

BulletHead,

Thanks for the info. I'll look for your Golzow scenario. It might be that TCP/IP play would be more for me, but I'll probably still give PBEM a try. So that's what the Peng thread is for?! My lone venture to one of those threads had me convinced that it was just a place for people with too much time to pontificate endlessly about inconsequential drivel. It seems that I was right. ;)

As for opponent skill, I highly recommend NOT fighting equally skilled players. Also fight guys better than yourself so you can learn their techniques.
Good point. I guess I'll just need to keep my fragile ego stoked by slaughtering Russian AI in Jaeger. smile.gif

- Tripwire6

Tripwire6 said:

So that's what the Peng thread is for?! My lone venture to one of those threads had me convinced that it was just a place for people with too much time to pontificate endlessly about inconsequential drivel.
Ah, I see you're already familiar with Senerachai's posts. You're definitely Cesspool fodder :D