more "newbie" questions

OK. Just purchased CMBO. Please provide me with a few answers:

1. The best websites for CMBO mods.

2. If a mod says that it is made for CMBB will it work with CMBO (ex. if it is the same vehicle)?

3. A "how to" doc for installing mods?

4. How about a list of mods that you think are a MUST. I mean the mods that help with gameplay, sound, or terrain.

Thanks.

Welcome......if you purchased the CDV CMBO-SE version of the game then the Hi-res terrain and sound mods were automactically installed with the game. The other mods you can find on the CD that you can install manually.

If you bought the game direct from Battlefront then you can go to "Combat Mission HQ" and find "Madmatt"s terrain mods. Also you will find many great mods there for your game.

As far as the best?.....hell what ever fits your fancy! There are so many wonderful mods out there you just have to find the one you like. Most mods come with "docs" on installation.

Enjoy your game!

[ August 08, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

Extending Panzertruppes answer:

1. One might suggest here the CMMOS mod manager. I don't use it myself, as I'm the monogamous typeoguy and stick with the mods I choose, but I do appreciate that the CMMOS is an extremely swift and expedient tool for those with high demands on accurate modding for every scenario. All my opponents use it.

All can be found at this place.

For the complete collection, do a search on the forum using 'Mods' as searchword, you'll find endless amounts of threads with links, tips and opinions.

2. Sometimes, but not always. Most work fine, but there are several that don't so you'll have to check if the mod package contains an identical set of BMP files to those already existing in your BMP folder. You can easily check. Download the Mod and open it. It will contain a set of BMP files with numbers. Then open your CMBO/BMP folder, check the numbers of the Mod files and see if they exist in the CMBO BMP folder. If they do, and look about the same, it generally works fine. A mistake here is no disaster, it won't crash your system. But it will look funny in-game and might be difficult to trace and replace.

3. Your CMBO folder contains a folder called "BMP", for standard Windows Bitmapp files. All Mods (except sound Mods) are packages of BMP files. Just insert them in any way you feel practical into your BMP folder. Personally I use copy paste. However, with the CMMOS things are slightly different, but here there is a special manual to be downloaded, at places mentioned above. Sound Mods are packages of standard Windows Wav files. You put those in the CMBO folder, subfolder "Wav". Its all extremely user friendly really.

4. Gameplay is not Mod-able, and sound Mods are scarce, sadly. Mods are normally BMP files altering appearance of terrain and 3D models such as terrain and units (normally by using higher resolution). There are no musts in my opinion, just your personal taste. Many players use non-published Mods.

Dandelion

and a few Mods are interchangable between CMBO and CMBB, eg.I use CMBB tall pines, some trees, grasses, scattered/woods bases etc. for both. Just preview both in thumbnails and re-number to suit. Some vehicle mods can be swapped around, you just got to look around, the Hertzer and Jeep? for example...

There are a couple of suggestions that usually get made about mods, and I guess it's my turn to make them first for this thread.

I'm not sure about the best sites to obtain CMBO mods these days, but the CMOutpost mod catalogue has always been really useful for figuring out what mods I like before having to spend time looking for them. I live in fear of it going away one day.

Terrain is the mod I've spent most time "fine-tuning." Obviously it has the biggest impact on how the game looks. Which terrain you like is up to you, but having got this figured out I would mod other objects as they crop up in gaming.

And I also use CMBB mods for CMBO, where the BMP number is the same.