Operation outcomes

Leo

You know I'm confused with Operations. For example right now I'm on battle 6 of the Carentan Op playing as the Germans. Basically, in every battle I run my infantry units forward of the dictated FEBA and ambush the advancing allies. After a successful defense I have my more mobile units. (Armor, fresh Infantry, etc. commit to a flanking maneuver on the bloodied Americans.) Works wonderfully! Given that I cannot see the kill/loss ratios a conservative estimation might be that of 5:1. It also would appear that the allies have run almost out of armor, leadership, and arty spotters. So, my question is this even though I make deep penetrations on the allies front I continue to have my front at the same darn spot. (Give or take 20 meters.) Am I being held back because of strategic purposes or am I missing what my mission is? Why can't I throw the allies back into the sea? <g>

thanks in advance

I played one of the OP's, sorry I don't remember which one, in which I was on the defense, I totally destroyed the Germans on the first round, yet my line stayed the same, the next battle the Germans had hardly anything and I finished off most of what he had left. The next battle MY lines were moved back, I quit. The problem is that OP's are really nothing more then chained scenarios that carry units in from the last battle. I hope CM2 develops a real campaign system, but then many will argue, maybe rightfully so, that this game really is not meant for campaigns. I enjoy the scenarios so much that a campaign is not necessary to enjoy this fine game.

Leo,

You've got it in the last sentence. The reason you stay where you are is because your job is to defend that spot for the length of the Operation. Remember you're only a small cog in the machine. If you want to see your lines move forward try an Advance or play the other side in this operation.

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 01-30-2001).]

Ok, I understand that I am on the defensive which would explaine that I am not given an opportunity to counter attack. However, wouldn't it be much wiser to have as forward a position as possible to aid in the longevity of a given objective? Whouldn't that make the most sence, even to the highest of the brass? Ah well, I guess nothing is perfect. This truely is the greatest stratagy game ever! And for all my comments I love the operations.