Wittman... How did you do?

just wondering how everyone else has faired as Wittman... The best I've done with him (ignoring the reinforcements) was about 50 infantry, 6 halftracks/carriers, and about 15 or so tanks...

Thanks,

Jaldaen

PS- If you'd like to give a detailed or not so detailed desc of your exploits feel free ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaldaen:

just wondering how everyone else has faired as Wittman... The best I've done with him (ignoring the reinforcements) was about 50 infantry, 6 halftracks/carriers, and about 15 or so tanks...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I succeeded in winning a couple of times, but I usuallylose. I have posted some messaes about my experiences on the forum

Henri

Originally posted by Jaldaen:

Thanks,

Jaldaen

PS- If you'd like to give a detailed or not so detailed desc of your exploits feel free ;)

Finished it yesterday. Wittman's tank: 46 infantry casualties; 2 guns; 9 carriers/halftracks; 19 tanks. The rest of the team brought the total up to 89 infantry 2 guns, 14 tracks, 24 tanks. I lost all the tanks but Wittman's and most of my infantry. Brits left town through the edge I entered from, leaving me with all the flags. Result was an Axis major victory

AAR.jpg

The fist secret was Wittman laying down a pattern of smoke right before the appearance of reinforcements, thus I didn't automatically lose my PzIV on the first turn it's available. Based on this experience, the best use of the infantry is to hang back and secure the first victory flag, and leave the PZIV back to support them.

Also after dealing with most of the half-tracks, and while waiting for reinforcement, I targeted two or three buildings with HE, reducing the Brits ability to hide inside the town.

Once the reinforcements arrived, I sent three of the Tigers to the right while holding the road with the others.

By the time, it was over, it was down to one Tiger vs. one 6-pdr AT gun. The gun lost and the Tiger parked on the flag.

[This message has been edited by General Panic (edited 01-30-2001).]

Oh! woe is me. having decided the Germans could never win I have been playing it again.

First attempt Wittmans takes a gun hit after three minutes!!!! still by attempt number 8 I was getting to 65 /25 Axis Major Victory - more by luck than any clever tactics.

Foolishly I mentioned this to my brother who sent me this e-mail:

"(OK on 2nd attempt...)

Axis Total Victory 88 vs 12

Allies lost all vehicles, had one 6pdr left (I discovered from map at game

end), all infantry bar one squad (panicke/routed) eliminated.

Axis lost 1 Tiger, 1 Mk IV and Panzershreck, all other units intact if

someone depleted (1 squad with 1 man, 2 with 6, Platoon HQ with 2).

Ta-daaaa.

(Quite hairy really).

I was German by the way."

I will ask him to post his tactics -- though I think he is just a jammy bustard (type of bird you know)

------------------

He has impeccable bad taste

In 1.1, it's a lot easier to rack up a lot of kills, because tanks stop hunting for halftracks and carriers.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I got really lucky not to long ago with that one. I had inflicted 100 (21 KIA) inf casualties, knocked out 22 vehicles, one morter and one gun destroyed. I had 22 casualties (5 KIA), and 2 vehicles knocked out-the PzIV and Wittman's Tiger.

The luck was in the fact that the AI kept sending it's tanks up the rode toward my reinforcements. Two tigers sat in the trees and destroyed everything that came by. The other Tiger and shreck guarded their flank and rear.

Wittman survived (I hoped) with 2 other crew members when his tank was ripped into by a 17-pounder. I attribute this major victory to the fact that the AI kept bringing it's armor into my ambush. Pure luck!

[This message has been edited by Guy w/gun (edited 02-11-2001).]

Guest Halfdane

Originally posted by Jaldaen:

Thanks,

Jaldaen

I LOVE THIS SCENARIO. Well I do now that I learned from all my mistakes.

1. Take Wittmans tank and hunt over to the right behind the 2 houses. Slip in between them and hang out.

2. When reinforcements arrive send them down the left side of the wheat field and hide in the liitle folds in the hill or behind the houses.

3. Wait, and get your infantry into cover. As long as your tanks cover each while moving around just enough to entice the AI to come for you, you will be all right. Never played this one against human so don't try this tactic in a PBEM or hotseat game.