Forward observer quality

Veteran FO teams are more expensive than Regulars. As the blast effect of the rounds doesn't change, what do you get when you 'buy' higher quality FOs?

Faster arrival time?

Rounds landing nearer the targeted impact point?

In two PBEM games, I've had a Kraut 300mm rocket FO with 25 rounds. One was CRACK, the other VETERAN. In both games, the rockets landed all over the place. The CRACK FO didn't have a line of sight to the impact point, while the VET FO could see the targeted building.

The CRACK FO inflicted no friendly casualties; the VET FO team killed itself (on rocket 13, cancelling the last 12 rounds in the salvo). From opponent reports, the CRACK FO team hit three squads, dropping four men in one and one each in the other two, while the VET FO inflicted NO enemy casualties.

As the attacker, if I'm ever dealt a 300mm rocket FO in the future, I think I'll fire it unobserved targeted on a victory flag as early in the game as I can. Firing observed doesn't improve the grouping of the rocket impacts, so why risk having men anywhere near the target?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOS was 71331:

... what do you get when you 'buy' higher quality FOs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Faster arrival time and a FO that's less prone to flee when encountered by enemies.

You also get a slightly higher ROF.

(I did some tests on this matter, and posted the results. I'll see if I can find the proper thread later on.)

IMO the better FOs only make a real (positive) difference for mortars, that are fast response artillery anyway.

As for rockets; Use a TRP for aiming, and at least 400m safety distance from the target point to your own troops. Then the rockets rocks!

Cheers

Olle