Shoot and Scoot my thoughts

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tools4fools:

It seems to me very much that the tank stops, shoots once and moves on. Therefore the stop can be short (if gun is ready) or long (if still reloading).

It could be that how many shots are gotten off may depend on several variables including ROF of main gun, crew experience, etc. I am speculating here as I don't have anything like enough experience to say more at this time. I did notice that one of my Hornets got off two shots in my last game, which surprised me.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by tools4fools:

Haven't used any Hornets yet, how are they doing in BB? Could imagine that there is a slight improvement in certain situations compared to BO...

I never used them in BO so I can't make the comparison. They seem to have trouble making hits at greater than 1,000 meters. Might do better if I didn't have to keep yanking them back to cover after they take their shots, i.e. could bracket at long range. The Reds shoot too well to leave them hanging about like that though.

Michael

****DANUBE BLUES SPOILER****

I was pulling my hair out in this scenario. I kept manoeuvring my T34's into perfect side shot positions only to have them miss and get creamed by the Tiger's first return shot.

Then I started using S&S and the big cats were soon suffering from severe drooping gun syndrome.

I agree with the comment about having the first part of the move be 'hunt'-like. Sometimes the tank spots its target sooner than you expect (better than expected LOS through trees, eg) but it keeps moving until it reaches the designated firing position. Also, fast movement is not conducive to spotting. Hunt speed would be more appropriate for moving into position.

What I wondered about is what should happen if the tank doesn't acquire a target (blocked LOS, target gone, eg). I believe they don't move now (potentially very dangerous of course). Should the scoot part of the command be executed after a certain period of time if the tank doesn't acquire a target ?

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

What I wondered about is what should happen if the tank doesn't acquire a target (blocked LOS, target gone, eg). I believe they don't move now (potentially very dangerous of course).

I don't believe that happens. I was using that command a lot in a game and a couple of times one or another of my AFVs didn't acquire a target but scooted as per usual. I personally believe that the command uses a timed pause and you either get off a shot or two in that time or you don't.

Michael

Something else about S&S that I don't believe has been commented on yet: it apparently negates the Death Clock. It won't target the same unit when it makes its next appearance if that unit has been declared dead or abandoned by that point (usually it will have). Useful to know if you are trying to conserve ammo.

Michael